Kids

//Edited//

Three years old

"Hi, I'm Stiles." Stiles flashes a charming grin, front teeth missing. His mom had sent him over to make friends with the boy that moved in across the street. A boy that looks like a puppy is looking right back at him. Though Stiles was a little disappointed about getting dragged away from his precious Pokémon cards, he's glad to make a friend.

"Hi, I'm Scott." The puppy replies shyly. Scott twists in his spot, unable to keep still has he observes the strange boy on his doorstep. A silence falls over them, and both stare at other things, just not each other.

"I live across the street ." Stiles points his pudgy finger to his house, confirming this information. Scott looks past Stiles at the cozy two story house behind him, as if he had to see it to believe it.

"Cool." Scott nods, smiling. He decides he likes that house- it has pretty flowers. He also decides he likes Stiles. "Wanna be friends?" Scott asks after a moment. Stiles grins and nods. "Totally."

Four Years Old

Stiles and Scott, thankfully, stayed friends for the next year. Melissa was glad. Scott needed a friend, all he did was stay at home and secretly watch Dora. The sheriff thought the same, his son's Spider-Man puzzle pieces had become Stiles' only friend. So, late in December, they had gotten used to Stiles trotting over to Scott's house every morning.

The two boys walked into the familiar TV room, Scott in front of Stiles, as always. Scott heads towards his game console, while Stiles struggles with climbing onto the couch. Once he finally got on, he frowned, noticing yet again that his legs were dangling off the couch. It occurred to Stiles that he was shorter than all the other boys, and he thought he would stay that way. It bothered him.

"So I got this new game, I don't know if it's any good." Scott explains, breaking Stiles out of his thoughts. Even though Scott can't see him, Stiles nods. Still on the floor, Scott lets out a quiet whoop when he figures out how to set up the game without his mother. He puts in the game and crawls up on the couch next to Stiles.

The other boy pouts, noticing how easy it was for Scott to climb onto the furniture. Obliviously, Scott presses play and hands Stiles a sleek black controller with barf-green buttons. Dramatic music starts to come out of the speakers, along with a throaty voice explaining a rather violent backstory about war.

"Mom, can Allison come over?" Stiles hears a higher-pitched voice ask. He turns his head only to see a small, young girl. In his mind Stiles could see her as a kitten, something to be coddled and protected at all costs. She seemed like any other girl, delicate and sorta boring, but this girl was in his friend's house, and he wanted to know why.

Stiles watches not-so-subtly as she talks to Scott's mom about Allison- who ever that is. The girl didn't seem to notice them. She rocked from side to side as Scott did, seemingly carefree. Her hair fell in waves down to her shoulders, and her skin was the color of the inside of an almond. She was pretty, which was weird because girls are suppose to be gross. "Sure, we just need to call her parents." Melissa replied, lovingly rubbing the top of her round head.

Stiles taps Scotts shoulder. "Hey Scott?" He asks shyly. "Hmm?" Scott replies and turns his head away from the screen. "There's a girl in your house." Stiles says. Scott looks in that direction. He shrugs. "Oh, that's my sister Lydia." Scott explains. "She's pretty." Stiles says. Scott looks at his friend like he's crazy. Normally this would be part where Scott would get defensive. As a guy, he could say that most guys were jerks. His father had left his mom to deal with two children, and Scott was too small to do anything, but he could protect Lydia.