There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (44)

Start from the beginning

"But Dallas knows that I don't like him anymore," I pointed out with a small smile, trying to get her more excited over the fact that she actually had a really good chance with him. "And he was at the graduation ceremony, so he knows about Jesse and me. You have a chance, Erica. You really do."

"Can you just go back to worrying about your boyfriend?" she snapped, her eyes narrowing at me.

I sunk back into my seat, growing silent now. She was right, I knew. I shouldn't have been worrying about her love life, I should have been worrying about my boyfriend's life. I had to stay focused on Jesse...

"Hey, Jordan," Erica sighed, and I was surprised that she hadn't called me by the nickname she had given me. "Do you remember what I said when we first met?"

My eyebrows pinched together in thought. She had said a lot of things when we first met. She had given us all derogatory nicknames and called me ugly. I couldn't really remember anything else...

"Remember when I said that I had a reason for being at the camp?" she continued on quietly, and I had to think about it for a few seconds before I finally remembered. I did remember Erica saying that when I had first met her. "Yeah, well... My reason was to get away from Hunter. But he found out where I was, so he followed me to Maine..."

"You're the reason why he was here?" I blinked in realization, not believing what I was hearing. So technically, everything was Erica's fault... But it wasn't like I was blaming her. She was just trying to get away from her crazy ex-boyfriend...

"If you're going to blame someone, don't blame yourself. Blame me," she practically whispered now.

"I don't blame you," I assured with a shake of my head. "It's not your fault that I had met Hunter. It was meant to be, I guess. And if Jesse really dies, it was meant to be as well. I'm the kind of person that believes that everything happens for a reason."

Erica chuckled quietly, wiping at her eyes gently. Erica was actually crying? I never thought I would see the day. "What an optimistic girl you are..."

I couldn't help but smile at her. "I've been told."

When her phone started to ring, she grabbed for it quickly so she wouldn't bother the rest of the people who were anxiously waiting in the waiting room. She looked down at the caller ID and her eyes widened.

"Oh, no..." she groaned, covering her eyes with her free hand. "It's Dallas. I forgot that all the counselors are supposed to be at the camp after every emergency. We're supposed to be with the kids in our cabins, which means your friends are probably terrified by themselves in the cabin..."

"Go," I insisted, waving her away toward the exit. "I'll be fine here by myself. It's safe here in the hospital, especially since Hunter isn't free anymore. I'll make sure to tell you everything I'm told."

Erica looked at me for a moment, as if thinking that leaving me here wasn't a good idea.

"You're supposed to be in the cabin with the rest of us, too. Just to make sure everyone is safe..." she informed me with a frown, turning her phone on silent when it started to ring again. "If you stay here, then what am I supposed to do?"

"Cover for me," I shrugged, getting more and more anxious as doctors passed me without a second glance. "Lie and say that I'm there, or tell them where I really am. It's not like I'm out on the streets or anything. I'm in a hospital, waiting to find out if my boyfriend it dead or not."

"I know, but I'm sure they're going to want you there more than anyone else," Erica murmured, crossing her arms over her chest as an elderly woman passed too close to her as she tried to walk by. "You're going to get questioned, I'm sure. And Jesse, if he survives. And anyone else who knew about Hunter..."