There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (26)

"Did Jesse... tell you who he was going with?" I found myself asking Alex timidly as we walked down the cabin steps. Lexi, Pete and the rest of them were in the front, waiting for us to catch up with them. "I know he said something about Aimee, but..."

"He didn't tell me," Alex shook his head with a shrug right before we caught up with the rest of the group. "He didn't tell anyone."

Lexi blinked at us, but smiled. "I didn't know you two were friends! I didn't even know you guys talked to each other!"

"We have second period together," I shrugged, wrapping my arm around Pete's when he offered. "No big deal."

"No big deal?" Lexi giggled, wrapping her arm around Alex's. "My best friend is friends with my boyfriend! It's great! I was afraid you two weren't going to get along!"

Alex beamed when Lexi called him her boyfriend, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him.

"I wouldn't exactly say we got along at first," I grumbled to myself, remembering the supposed kidnapping, but no one seemed to hear me.

When we got to the outside court where the prom was being held, I definitely wasn't looking forward to anything that was going to happen that night. People were taking pictures, dancing to some kind of Ke$ha song that I was too lazy to identify, and sitting around at tables and talking to each other.

"I love this song!" Lexi cried over the music to me, clutching onto Alex's arm a little tighter. "Blow is the best out of all her songs!"

I assumed that that was the name of the song, but at that moment I didn't really care. I didn't want to be there in the first place, so I didn't want to get into the music.

My eyes widened when I saw Jesse sitting over at one of the round tables, Aimee sitting on top of his lap. I looked away, trying my best not to jerk Pete's arm from my grasp. So he did ask Aimee... I should have known that he was going to go with her. He even told me that he was going to ask her.

Pete, Lexi, Alex, Chelsea, Dalton and I all sat down at one of the round tables while the rest of the group went to dance. They all looked so happy, but I couldn't feel more miserable. Pete hadn't even said one word to me since he picked me up!

This was ridiculous...  I made the biggest mistake ever and it was too late to do anything to fix it. I wished I could have just gone back in time...

I chose this time to study both Alex and Dalton, who were sitting right next to each other. They definitely didn't look like brothers, let alone twins. Alex had blonde hair while Dalton had brown, Dalton was tan while Alex was pale, but they both had the same piercing blue eyes. Alex was also a little better built than Dalton, but I wasn't very surprise. He had been in a gang, after all...

I then looked over at Lexi before looking over at Chelsea. They both looked so happy... But they liked the people they were here with, so I couldn't really blame them. If I was with Jesse, I was sure I would be beaming with happiness as well.

But I was with Pete. And I was so unhappy about it that I actually felt like crying.

But I also felt bad that I couldn't tell my best friends about who I really wanted to go with. They didn't even know that he had asked me. If they knew, I didn't know how they would react. They hated him so much... After everything he did to us, they'd think I was insane for saying yes to him!

I looked beautiful that night, and I normally don't say that about myself, but I was just wasting it all on Pete. I wanted Jesse to tell me that I looked beautiful, that he loved me, that he couldn't live without me...

But that wasn't going to happen.

And I just had to suck it up and endure everything that happened that night. Pete was such a shy guy; I didn't think he would even do anything.