Writing Letters And Going To War

Miranda's pov

We were about to leave for Virginia. It will be a long and tiring walk. Jason came to see us off. I'm fighting back tears. He hugs me tight. "I won't find another, Jason." I whisper. He rests a hand on my cheek, brushing away a tear. "You will. You'll be happy." He doesn't get it. "You shut up, rich kid. You're the only guy I'll ever love." He laughs slightly. Then it's time to go. "I'm sorry honey." Dad says. "But this job in Virginia comes with a house too." We won't be homeless. "I'd rather be homeless and with him any day." I gasp, crying again.

*one long journey later*

We finally make it to Virginia and the house we got. I collapse exhaustedly to the couch, my legs killing me from walking. Dad goes to the job but all I can think about is Jason. I miss Georgia. I miss Jason. Mom hugs me as I cry and I look out the window, wishing I could walk back.

*a few months later*

It's winter. Mom is seven months pregnant with a little boy. I decide to write a letter to Jason! I sit down with a pen and paper.

Dear Jason,
Mama is gonna have a baby boy. She's doing better than before. We actually have a baby doctor up here. Can you believe it? I'm gonna have a baby brother! I miss you so much. Virginia is so much colder than Georgia. I miss your arms around my waist, Jason I wanna be there with you.

I start crying while writing. I miss him so much. Mama pats my back and I finish the letter.

Next time it's summer, I want to find a way to come visit you. My heart will always belong to you my Georgia cowboy. You hold the key to the heart of this poor girl. I love you.
Sincerely Miranda.

Jason's pov

I was writing a new song in my room. Inspired by the love I had and lost. I miss her so much but I'm sure she's found someone in Virginia. "Letter for you, Jason." Mom calls. I walk downstairs and see the ring still on her finger. Only making me miss her more. She hands me the letter and I'm shocked to see her Virginia address!! I rip it open instantly and read through it. The end is what shocks me.
My heart will always belong to you my Georgia cowboy. You hold the key to the heart of this poor girl. I love you.
Wow. So she's not even gonna try to find someone else. I instantly go to my desk. I finish writing the song and copy it down then I write her a letter.

Dear my beloved,
I miss you too. More than anything in this world and the next. I know we are meant to be and I know someday somehow, I will find you again. You'll always be the girl who is in my dreams. And the first person I think of when I wake up in the morning.
Love an ol Georgia boy.

I smile confidently and put it in a letter to be sent.

*a few days later*

Dad comes home from work, he looks absolutely terrified. "Dad what's wrong?" I gasp, confused. He looks at me and grabs my shoulders, freaking me out. "Son, you're not eighteen yet. Please tell me you're not eighteen!" Huh? I pull free from his grasp. "No, I'm not." "Thank God!" He gasps. "I'm twenty. Dad you don't even know how old I am?!" "No! I'm freaking out here! They're deploying every man older than eighteen to fight the Germans!!" I hit the wall in shock and fear. I'm going to war.

Miranda's pov

I smile and read Jason's letter then I find a song. At the top it says, Even if I wanted to. "Hey daddy do you know how to play guitar?" I ask, walking into the living room. He sighs. "I do but my hands are so cut up from work I can't." My face falls. "Are you okay daddy?" I ask, sitting beside him. He nods. "What ya got there?" I smile. "A letter from Jason. And a song."

*a few days later*

Jason's pov

I hate to have to tell her this. But I write her a letter about having to go fight in the war. So she doesn't wonder why I don't answer her letters. Dad's afraid. It surprised me. I didn't know he cared about me. But he's afraid of something happening to me. I clutch the letter tightly in my hand. "Be brave son. I'll be right by your side." He says, patting my shoulder. "D-Dad, are we.... Gonna die?" I'm shocked to see him crying. I drop the letter in the mailbox. Mom hugs us goodbye and they put us on a plane.

Miranda's mom's pov

A letter comes in. I usually don't read this but it says urgent. I open it and fear fills me. Jason's been deployed. She's gonna be so worried. I decide to hide it from her. Save her the pain.

Miranda's pov

*a few weeks later*

"Any letters from Jason mama?" I ask, when I get home from school. She shakes her head, washing dishes. My heart sinks. Did he forget about me? Did he find someone new? I fight back the tears and eat the snack mama left for me. Daddy's still at the factory. "Jason was right. Life did look up for us." I whisper, sighing. I miss him so much and I'm afraid he forgot about me.

Jason's pov

A lot of things a country boy learns in life, how to shoot a gun and how to use a knife but nothing can prepare a twenty year old boy for war. I saw a man get his legs blown off right in front of me. That was almost me. Right now me and dad and several others were hauled in ditches with guns. It was raining and cold and my hands were shaking so badly I could barely grip the gun. I'm covered in mud from the rain. "Dad." I whisper. He opens his eyes and looks down at me. "Dad, are we gonna die?" I shakily ask, terrified. The dirt on his face washes away with the tears and rain. "Honestly I don't know." I stare at the ground in shock. We might die. I scream when something explodes near us. We all point our guns but my fear escalates when I see a tank. "Dad!! What do we do!?" I cry, shaking in my boots. He grabs my shoulder and shoves me out of the ditch then we all start running. "Get down!" Dad yells, shoving me down. Mud getting on my face. And bullets whizz by where my head was. Dad is frozen. Huh? He falls back making me scream. "Dad?! Dad!!" He's bleeding in his chest and having trouble breathing. He's been shot multiple times. I'm so scared. "Oh my God!! Dad!!" Someone from our platoon puts a hand on my shoulder. "It's too late, soldier." I throw him off, my hand gripped tight in my father's. "That's my dad! You jerk!" I yell, crying. "Dad, come on get up!" He saved me. I'd have died too. The soldier makes me get up. "I'm sorry soldier, he's gone." "I can't just leave him!" "You have to. That tank is coming and he's not gonna stop. He'll shoot our asses down." I hug him one last time. "I'm sorry dad." I whisper, standing back up. The soldier who waited for me now runs beside me. "What's your name by the way? I ask when we reach the cover of the trees. "My name is Thomas Bryan but I go by Luke. From the great town of Leesburg Georgia." "Wow I'm from Georgia too. Macon." I say. "Your name?" He asks. "Jason Aldean. At your service." I reply. We get to a safe place and I wanna run back to my dad. He's out there by himself! I fight back becoming a sobbing mess. "So ya got a girl back home?" He asks. My eyes go wide. "I.... I had a girl." I mumble. "Ooh sorry man." "We've been writing. She had to go to Virginia. Her dad got a job. I miss her." "So she's alive?" I nod. "What about you?" "Caroline. Back home in Georgia." I smile. "I hope ya make it home to her." He smiles. "Thanks. You too. And I'm sorry about your dad." I nod and look into the field. He died a hero. He died saving me.