Long Road Ahead

Miranda's pov

For once I'm excited to go to work! Mostly cause I get to see Jason. When I get there, a few people I don't know were leaving. I walk to Jason's room. "What's going on out there?" I ask, pointing. He was laying down. "Oh my parents had this stupid party." He mutters. "You okay?" "Yeah. Just they won't shut up." I laugh and sit beside him. "Ya know this is the first time I've been excited to come to work." He moves the hand that was covering his eyes which are wide open now. I smile. He smiles too. "You excited to come see me?" I blush and look away. "Maybe." "MAID!" I hear his dad yell. "Damn." He mutters annoyed. I sigh and stand up. I go back to the living room. "Clean up this mess." He says. I nod and grab a garbage bag.

Jason's pov

I annoyedly walk out there where she's cleaning up after dad's party. My eyes go wide seeing him staring at her ass! "Dad!" I gasp. He looks away then to me. "What?" He asks. "Quit lookin' at her like that. She's your maid not one of your dancer girls!" He glares at me then leaves the room. "Thanks. He makes me really uncomfortable." She says, stiffly. "You're welcome. I wish he wasn't super weird like that. You okay?" "I am now." I help her finish up the remnants of the stupid party. "Where's your mom?" "She went away on business. That's when my dad does this crazy stuff. I'm supposed to stay in my room." She looks at me, wide eyed. "You're talkin' about hookers aren't you?" I sigh and nod. "I don't approve but at least they get paid. And with this economy-" "I take it back your dad is a total freak." "Yeah. I know but I want ya to know I'm nothin' like my dad." "I know. You're a gentleman." I smile. I was worried she'd think I was a perv because of that first day. "Get in here maid!" Dad shouts, worrying me. She's scared too I can tell.

Miranda's pov

I shakily walk to his den. He's sitting at his desk, hands together. "Yes sir?" I ask. He just smiles and stays quiet, looking at me. "Do you need anything?" He nods. "Turn around." I'm so freaked out. But I do what he says. I hear him walking over. Each step making me more scared. I feel his hand on my shoulder. "W-What are you doing?" I whimper, shutting my eyes from fear. "I know what happened between you and my son." My hands stiffen. "I-I don't know what you're talking about!" I gasp, terrified. "Shut up girl, I know you do. And if you want to keep your job you'll do exactly as I say." He turns me around. I'm still sore after the first time with me and Jay. "H-How'd you find out?" "I saw the bloody sheets in the wash." Crap. I back up. "I'm sorry I won't do it again! Please don't!" I whimper, terrified. He stands in the middle of the room, hands on his hips. "Take your shirt off." "I don't wanna." "Then you sure don't want this job!" He yells. Seconds later, the door busts open, Jason standing there. Tears were falling down my cheeks. "What are you doing?" He asks, angrily. "None of your business." His dad gripes back. "Uh yeah it is my business. Unless ya want me to tell mom what you do when she's gone." "Shit! You wouldn't." He growls. I look between them confused. "Leave her alone dad." "Fine. But you better keep your mouth shut, girl." He growls, pointing a finger in my face. I back up, even more terrified. Jason grabs my hand, pulling me from the room. "What did he do to you?" He asks instantly. I bust out sobbing and he hugs me tight. "H-He told me to take my shirt off! I was so scared. I-If you didn't come in....." "Don't worry. I won't let him do that. I promise." He whispers, rubbing my back. I cry in his arms.

*later*

Jason was teaching me how to make a fried egg. I smile and do what he does. "See you can cook!" He says. I nod. "Just had to have a good teacher." He laughs. "Took the words right out of my mouth." He says, smiling. "You taught me to cook. Now how about I teach you something." He's surprised. "Teach me what?" He asks. I grab his hand. "To dance." "You know how to dance?" I nod. We enjoy our masterful creations then we go to the living room. He puts a record on and I grab his hands.

Jason's pov

I'm suddenly super nervous. "I got two left feet." I mumble, jokingly. She smiles. "Dancing doesn't come from your feet. It comes from your heart." I smile and we hold hands as she teaches me to dance. Hours later, I have it downpat. I dip her then the music stops. I look up at my dad. "What is going on?" He growls. Crap. "She was teachin' me to dance." I say, helping her up. He glares at her. Man he really wanted her. Luckily I didn't let that happen. Only I get to enjoy that in this family. My hands are sweaty. I'm surprised though that he doesn't do anything. I grab her hand and run to my room locking the door. I have to make this tough painful decision to keep her away from my dad. I lean my hands against the door. I turn around to her though and kiss her gently.

Miranda's pov

He backs me up against the bed. "Jason, what's going on?" I shakily ask. "I hate to have to say this but... You have to quit. My dad won't stop. And I don't want you to get hurt." He says, a hand on my cheek. I'm scared. "B-But if I quit, what are my parents gonna do?" I whimper, worriedly. "I don't know but your safety is more important. Trust me your parents will think so too. They care about you." He says. "H-How'd you-" "Because I can just tell." He says. I grab his hand, the one not on my cheek and put it to my chest, leaving my hand over his. "I don't wanna leave you." I whimper. He smiles and kisses me again. "I'll visit you." He whispers. I lay down completely on his bed as we make out. His hands on my arms. I scoot up against the pillows and he gets on the bed beside me, on his knees. He holds me in place against the headboard.

*after*

Both of us are breathing raggedly. "I'll take.... You over..... Your damn dad.... Any day." I whisper, trying to catch my breath, my hand gripped tight in his. He kisses me again, looking in my eyes. "I'll always pick you." He says. I smile, fighting back tears. "Oh Jason, I love you." I gasp, hugging him. "It's gonna be so hard to quit." He holds me tight. "It's for the best." We both get dressed and he holds my hand worriedly as I go to quit. His dad is drinking scotch. "Sir, I quit." I say, shakily. He glares at me enraged. "Fine but don't come back around here." I change back into my normal clothes and Jason walks me to the door. My hand instinctively shoots to my neck where the ring was. But it's not there and it breaks my heart. "When will I see you again?" I whimper, looking up at the tall, dark haired, tanned cowboy before me. "I'll get to you. I promise." He says, holding my hands again. He opens the door. "Be safe out there." He whispers, worried. "Walk me home?" I ask. He smiles and grabs his jacket. "Yeah." We walk outside and to the park. My eyes go wide, seeing mom and dad packing the tent up. Mom is almost two months pregnant now. "What's going on?" I shakily ask. "I found some work." Dad says, smiling confidently. "W-What about my job daddy?" I nervously ask. "You don't need it. We're moving to Virginia where they have factory work for me. We'll be okay." Virginia!!!! Me and Jason lock eyes. He smiles sadly. "I'm glad for you hun." He says. "No! I won't go to Virginia! I've moved around too much and lost too many people! I won't lose you too!" I cry, grabbing his shirt, his hands wrap around my waist, tears in his eyes. "You have to hun, you'll be okay." "No I won't!" I cry, shaking. "Y-You'll find someone else." Tears fall down my cheeks. "I don't want anyone else Jason!" I want you! I'll put up with your dad if I could stay here! Please I'm begging!" I cry, falling to my knees. He gets on his knees beside me. "I'm gonna miss you so much but you need this to survive. Maybe.... It just wasn't meant to be." He shakily says, hugging me. "Don't say that!" I gasp. He holds me for what feels like eternity but it wasn't long enough. He stands up and tips his hat to my parents. "I hope you guys make it in Virginia. I... I wish you the best of luck." I grab his leg as he tries to walk away. "Please don't make me do this." But dad grabs my shoulders. He waves with tears in his eyes. "I'll never forget you, girl." He walks away back home. I cry in my hands. I lost yet another person I cared about most in this world.