Chapter 19: Strawberry Kisses

"Beauty queen of only eighteen

She had some trouble with herself
He was always there to help her

She always belonged to someone else

I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door

I've had you so many times but somehow I want more

I don't mind spending every day
Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved
And she will be loved"

It's as if I could hear her heart throbbing voice through the music. She plays the song 'She will be loved' on the piano and I close my eyes as I listen to the beat of the tune. 

It's been a week now. One more week and the final days will start to countdown until the assigned assassination. Hotaru has it all planned there's only a fifty percent chance of saving my sister and Mikan. But she says it's a pretty good chance.

I don't know what will happen but I'm prepared... prepared to do it.

"Hmmm..." Mikan hums and rolls her fingers along the notes.

"I haven't seen Ruka in a while." I suddenly say. She stops for a moment and smiles.

"He's busy with school and work." I nod and she continues, "He tries to visit me at least once a week."

"Huh. What school does he go to?"

"I really don't know... I'll ask him when he comes. You haven't told me where you go. Well if you go to a school." She pokes her chin in thought.

"I... go to Gakuen Alice." I mutter and she pauses. I think it's about time I tell her that I have an Alice. She stays silent and for a moment I think she's too shocked but instead I see a very surprised expression.

"Gakuen Alice?" She repeats and I nod. "That's a very elite school! You must be very smart Natsume." She smiles with her eyes closed. I didn't expect her to make that kind of reaction... She must not want to talk about the school...

Wait.. does she even know about G.A? She must... since she joined the AAO.

"Yeah..." I trail my fingers against the chords and touch her hand a little. "S-Sorry." I blush and turn away, but our hands stay there.

"Natsume, I bet you have a lot of girls who like you at school. Huh?" She gives a small smile. I shrug and proceed to play the melody of the song. Yep, I know a little piano.

"I don't know. I do get some chocolates during Valentines though..." I stop and think. "What about you? You went to school so..." I stop and curse under my breath. She leans her head against my shoulder and I freeze.

"Yeah, I got lots of chocolates but I never got along with the other girls. It got me in trouble a lot..." She whispered so only I could hear. I was starting to like this room because it gave us space. It was small but big enough for us to feel comfortable. We could also have conversations like this...

"Hey, have you ever read the story of Romeo and Juliet?" I turn towards her and she stares through space.

"Yeah? What about it?" My arm unconsciously wraps around her shoulders and she scoots closer, closing the distance between us.

"How they had a forbidden love? I really loved the story and broke into a tears after finishing Shakespeare's masterpiece."

"They died in the end, right? How was that a good story?"

"I thought the same way once." She pauses with a smile, "Then I realized something..."

"What?" I rested my head against hers and heard her voice vibrate against my skin.

"That we got to appreciate what we got."

"..." Our eyes meet and then time stops for a moment.

Our breaths touch and become one. "Your right." I mumble.

My heart thumps and my voice gets stuck in my throat. The space gets more narrow by the second. Then my other hand rests on her waist. Closer and closer, we don't look away and she gazes in my own eyes. I can't get my eyes off her lips, they're so pink and shiny that they distract anyone from a mile away.

Ah... the same feeling again. I want to hold her and...

"Natsume?" She barely whispers. I can feel her heart beating hard too. I don't know what I'm doing... ah... my body is moving on its own.

"Sorry Mikan." I move and my lips meet hers.