Class droned on and on, and instead of focusing on the lesson, my awareness was everywhere. It was very weird; most of the students weren’t paying the teacher attention. They were chatting, texting, laughing… and sleeping. The teacher also didn’t seem to mind them.

Weren’t they here to learn? Was I missing out something?

I burrowed my brows as I scanned the rest of the room. Yes, it was like my earlier classes. Was this what Yana said I’m lacking? The immaturity? Their confidence? Or was it indifference?

“What’s NIB?” Kean whispered huskily to my ear, sending a warm tingle down my arms. He wasn’t removing his gaze from the board where the teacher wrote his lecture. Here’s one guy that’s different. He actually listens to the teacher. Very attentive. Very impressive.

I smiled timidly. “Neodymium Iron Boron.”

“What’s that?” His face became a little sour. Cute. I had this very abnormal urge to smooth the wrinkles in between his brows. I intertwined my fingers together instead.

“Uhm, it’s a… it’s a kind of very strong magnet,” I replied in a low murmur.

“Oh…” He suddenly smirked, like an idea struck him. “Then, you must be this NIB magnet.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m strongly attracted to you.”

I hid my dainty laugh with the back of my hand. Kean is a hilarious guy. Ever since we met, he had been telling me jokes to make me loosen up from my cold feet. He might have noticed my uneasiness with this school. He’s perceptive as well, I had to take note of that.

“Thank you,” I said shyly.

After that, the teacher told us to answer some exercises. I saw Kean scowled as he received the set of questions. When I saw mine, it struck me odd why. The questions were easy. A little long, but answerable.

Maybe he was just making a face for my sake.

I giggled softly.

As soon as I reached my locker, I had several boys and girls around me.

“You know, I can give you a ride –“

“My name is Tim, and you are – “

“Can you sit with us tomorrow – “

“Maybe we can hang out – “

I smiled at everyone and I was glad they weren’t paying enough attention to notice that my eyes had started to water. It would be embarrassing if they saw me cry… but still…

I clutched my books tightly as I opened my locker. There were letters inside, but knowing they came from some unknown guys, I left them there. I walked towards the car park. The mixture of students remained hanging around me until I suddenly tripped because I couldn’t see where I was walking. Someone caught me, and as I buried my face on his chest, he growled furiously, sending all the annoying students away.

Without looking up, I knew it was Kean hugging me protectively.

“Are you okay?”

I lifted my terrified gaze, knowing how red my cheeks appeared to him. Not red, crimson. Bloody crimson.

I automatically straightened myself.

“I’m fine.” I forced myself to smile. “Thank you.”

“You better hire a bodyguard to protect you.”

I pouted. “I can handle myself perfectly from them.”

He shot me a weird look. What was that for?

We stood there silently for a moment.

“I volunteer for the job.” He smirked smugly. When he crossed his arms on his chest, he looked perfectly inhuman... more like a lost pagan god of beauty. I felt a shudder ran through me. When your heart hammers like crazy, then that means you’re nervous right? So… why was I nervous?

“That’s sweet, but I had to decline," I replied. "Like I said, I can take care of myself.”

I pulled away from him. As I half-ran towards my silver car, I didn’t notice a crack on the cemented ground until my foot was caught in it. So much for my little pride. That's twice now.

Kean wrapped his strong arms around me just in time. Without the group of people around us to bother me, my concentration was solely focused on him. His hard, muscled chest – which I could feel through his thin shirt – pressed against me, allowing me to feel his pounding heart. Fervent heat flooded my entire body. He felt amazing… like there were thousands of sparks accompanying his touch.

These feelings I’ve been having were crazy, insane even. If I turned around and faced him, I wonder…

What in the world am I thinking?

“You can fall off a building, you can fall out a tree, but baby the best way to fall is to fall in love with me.”

I stiffened.

I mechanically turned to face him, heard myself say an awkward thank you and without another word, I ran away.