14. Unregistered

AN: I encountered this poem again a couple days ago, and wrote it down as inspiration for some Kylo Ren concept art. I absolutely love this poem and have been doing some rough sketches of where I want this to go. Perhaps I'll be able to share the finished product here, if it's good enough. LOL

Chapter 14

Rey POV:

They were running, faster than ever, faster than she had ever ran in her life. Ben was beside her, a flurry of dark hair and pale skin, and a great comfort to her pounding heart.

"How'd you get here?" she asked, panting and hitching her skirt up to allow her legs to move freely. She cursed under her breath. This dress was not made for running, she thought.

"A fighter," Ben exclaimed, pulling her quickly out of the way of the raining bullets that flew from the blasters of troopers. "Here!" he said, kicking a blaster from a fallen trooper to her.

Quickly switching off the safety, Rey pressed herself into an indentation of the wall, mirroring Ben. She shot quickly, letting the laser hit one of the troopers in the chest.

"X-wing?" she asked, raising her voice and firing again.

"You got it."

Rey paused to shake her head. "You didn't think this through, did you?" She emerged quickly from her small nook in the hallway and with calculated precision, managed to hit another trooper. "Only room for one person in those, Ben."

Ben shot, accurately knocking the last trooper over. "Come on," he said, pulling her from the wall and breaking into a run. The hallway ended abruptly, giving way to two hallways branching off from the first. "Turn here," he told her, pointing to the left corridor.

"Now," he began between heavy breaths, "there are two ways this could pan out. The first one you won't like."

They came to a small room off the side of the hallway. Quickly, they stepped inside, pressing their backs against the wall and waiting for the patrol of troopers, making their daily rounds, to continue past them.

Rey's eyes, meanwhile, were wide with realization. "I'm not agreeing to this, Ben," she whispered harshly.

"I told you you wouldn't like it."

"You're being stupid."

Ben gave her a half-smile, reaching out and, in the blink of an eye, grabbing a passing trooper. With a wave of Ben's hand, the trooper slumped to the floor. Ben reached down and grabbed the trooper's key card. He held it up like a trophy, with a wide grin.

"I'm not stupid, Rey. I'm going to get you home."

"What about you, dimwit? I'm not leaving you here to die. You and I both know that Snoke is furious about what you've done. You're a traitor, and they'll need to use you as an example."

Ben licked his lips, smirking thinly. "Come to care for me, scavenger?" He was smiling at her, but even then, with the humor in his voice, Rey could see a sort of pleading in his eyes.

He wanted her to say that she had.

He wanted her to be honest with herself, and speak the truth they both knew when they looked into one another's eyes.

"I shouldn't have to answer a question you already know the answer to," Rey replied, staring up at him. "Now tell me what the second option is."

"Second option?"

"You said that there are two ways this can pan out. Option A: I leave in the fighter and you stay. Not going to happen. So let's hear it. What's Option B?"