17. The Exchange: Part Three

Hi, again! I've decided to also work on editing this story and finalizing it, because I know many of you guys want to see this completed haha. Here is the edited version of this chapter.

Chapter 17

Ben POV:

When Ben awoke and rays of sunlight were just beginning to find their way into his room, he remembered a dream that swept him away into a fearsome river of emotions. They loved each other. He smiled foolishly but didn't care.

Sliding the covers hastily down his body, he stood and made his way to the chest of drawers waiting for him at the far wall. Ben dressed quickly, trading the pants he slept in for a gray pair of pants and shirt.

He was walking to the door when a loud ringing filled his ears and announced that Leia had called an emergency, mandatory meeting. The bells were filling the room and his heart was beating loudly in his chest, for more reasons other than the love that filled it. The thoughts that he had swept out of his mind resurfaced; what if they were discovered? What if Leia figured out it had been her son that had freed the young woman, sister of Nico?

He opened the door, immediately thinking of Rey and knowing he could only make the right decision if she was with him. He ran to her door.

Raising a nervous fist and finding strength to ignore the floods of people rushing to get to the mess hall for the meeting, Ben knocked on the door. He had barely touched it when the door was flung wide open.

"Rey--" he began, but he was cut short by her words.

Wasting no time, Rey stepped into the hallway and took his hand, pulling him along with her and into the crowd of people. "I know. Let's not get ahead of ourselves," she stated, but even her voice tingled with nerves. "Maybe it's not what we think." Looking back at him for just a second to speak, she started forward. "Run!"

Suppressing his fear, he followed her example and set off down the hallway with the rest of the Resistance.

-

Bang!

Blaster shots being shot from ships ricocheted on the metal walls of the Resistance base.

Bang! Bangbang!

"We'll never make it out! We're surrounded!" A soldier shouted to his fellows. "This--"

But the man was cut off. A shot from a fighter sent the ceiling caving in. Bones crunched and blood splattered.

Bang!

Someone cursed. "My leg! It's trapped!"

Something flickered up above, and then the lights in the hallway powered off, shut down completely. The soldiers were in darkness.

"I'm coming for you, Jones! Stay put!"

Bangbangbang!

A fourth, new voice filled the air. "You stay put, dimwit! The ceiling isn't stable. We have to move now!"

"We can't just leave--"

"We've got to!"

Bang!

Another part of the ceiling caved in, forcing the soldiers into a run.

Bang!

The sound of bodies colliding into each other, of the dying men and women screaming, groaning.

Bang!