"Don't you have to get back to work?" I questioned, allowing him to pull me up. He simply grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together, leading me down the corridor. "Ross?"

"Someone else is covering for me." He shrugged. "There was no way I was going back to work and let you wait by yourself."

My heart fluttered, and I smiled, leaning up to kiss his cheek. "You're sweet, you know that?"

"I've been told that once or twice." He teased, giving my hand a squeeze. "A few of my friends know about you and Jess, and they weren't going to let me work once they heard what was going on."

A blush covered my cheeks, but I smiled shyly. "You talk about me?"

His own cheeks tinted red, the blush crawling up to his ears. "Y-yeah. Uh, I'm kind of a chatterbox here. I just couldn't stop talking and they kept asking questions...and, yeah."

The nervousness emanating off him was so adorable, and the way he looked like a young boy getting embarrassed was just too cute. "If it helps, I talk about you, too."

"Oh, yeah?" His lips tilted upwards. I nodded. "Anything good? Like how sexy I am? Or how amazing my hair is?" 

"You will never know." I winked. 

We rounded the corner and came to a stop, the smile I recently had on my face dropping almost immediately. Jess' small body was laying on a large bed, her chest moving up and down evenly. Ross squeezed my hand assuringly before silently encouraging me to go in. I forced my jaw to stop trembling before making my way inside, crossing the room until I was right by her side. She looked so fragile, her face slightly pale but regaining color. 

"You're okay, baby." I whispered, brushing my hand across her cheek. "The pain's all gone." 

This was the most she had been in the hospital her entire life. Twice in less than six months...broken wrist and now appendicitis. She was just a little girl, and I had already seen her in a hospital bed twice. 

I must have spent the past hour just staring at Jess, brushing my fingers through her hair when her eyes began to flutter open. She let out small whines and groans, shifting slightly in her bed before scrunching her nose up in discomfort. When she finally opened her eyes, I smiled widely and kissed her forehead. 

"How're you feeling, sweetie?" I murmured, grasping onto her hand. She looked exhausted, and I noticed how her eyes were already drooping. She would most likely be asleep in a matter of minutes. "In any pain?"

She shook her head, much to my relief. I nodded to myself and tucked her in gently, coaxing her back to sleep. "Go back to sleep, baby." She didn't have to be told twice, her eyes closing and her even breaths being released. I made sure she was officially asleep before walking out of her room and joining Ross, who stood by the nurses station. He had stayed in that position the entire time, not even asking to join me in the room. 

"How's she doing?" He asked almost immediately. 

I let out a yawn and rested my head on his chest, wrapping my arms around his waist. He wrapped his own around my shoulders, resting his chin at the top of my head. "She's not in pain, but she's exhausted."

"She's still sedated pretty heavily." He informed me. "She'll be in and out of it for the next few hours. And maybe while she's sleeping, you should, too. I can bring you a cot to sleep in."

I shook my head. "I'll be fine. But you should go home and sleep. If someone's covering for you, you don't have to be here."

"Hey," He grasped my chin, tilting it upwards so our eyes locked. "I'm not leaving you alone right now. You're kinda stuck with me."