Chapter 5

"Are you busy Friday night?" Ross looked at me expectantly, a slight grin on his face. "I actually have the night off and would like to take you out." 

"Our first official date?" I wondered, a smile of my own appearing. 

"Our first official date." He confirmed. "And I was wondering-and you can say no-but would you want Jess with us? I was planning on taking you ice skating, and I figured instead of you leaving her with Morgan, she could just come with us. Again, you can say no." 

I couldn't help but giggle at the nervousness that was evident as he spoke. He just looked so adorable and almost childlike. "I think that's a great idea." I told him. We both agreed that we wanted things to do slow, and I loved the idea of Jess coming with us. She could get to spend some time with him, and I could really see if she liked him. "So, I guess she's gonna be a third wheel, huh?" 

He laughed, his eyes glimmering. "I just figured this would be a lot more fun rather than a dinner date."

"I'm definitely excited." I reached for my cup and took a sip, allowing the water to wet my dry throat. "And Jess will be, too. She's never been ice skating, but she'll definitely have fun." Images of my little girl with tiny skates on made my heart swell. "I know I will."

"Me, too." He agreed, smiling. He glanced at his watch, a frown replacing his smile. "I'm sorry, Blake, but I have to go to work. I'll pick you up Friday at seven. Does that sound good?"

"Sounds perfect." I nodded. He flagged down our waitress and asked for the check, paying for our meal before I could even protest. He flashed me an amused smile while I pouted childishly. He had yet to let me pay for one meal. 

Once out of the diner, he kissed my cheek, bidding me a goodbye before walking to his car. My skin tingled, the feel of his lips on my cheek making my head spin. I bit my lip, smiling to myself as I made my way to my own car, pulling out of the parking lot and heading to Jess' preschool. My thoughts were being occupied by a certain blonde, and the way my nose scrunched up and I internally squealed, someone would think I was a lovesick teenager. 

I think I was losing my mind. 

Jess' preschool was a short drive away, and since I arrived a few minutes before her class was dismissed, I decided to just stand outside the classroom and watch as she played with her dolls. She was happily playing with another young girl, chatting away and acting like the dolls were actual people. Mrs. Hart caught my staring and smiled, motioning me inside. I sneakily stepped inside, avoiding Jess' sight so she wouldn't see me yet. 

"She's been playing with those dolls all day." Mrs. Hart told me after a quick greeting. "I can barely pry them out of her hands."

I chuckled softly. "Bribing her usually works." The older woman laughed lightly. "How's she been today?"

"You know she's an absolute angel, Blake. She always is." She said. "She keeps asking for autographs for her cast. It's pretty funny."

"Yeah, that sounds like Jess. We'll definitely be keeping her cast once it comes off." 

"That should be pretty soon, right?" 

I nodded. "Yeah, in about a week or two. I just need to talk with her doctor first."

Ross flashed in my mind, and I had to will away the blush that was threatening to appear. 

As Mrs. Hart and I continued to talk, parents started to enter the classroom to take their kids home. I didn't even have to call Jess' name or make my appearance known before she started running towards me. "Mommy!" I bent down and quickly scooped her up, peppering her face with kisses before resting her on my hip.