Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Tomorrow was the wedding and Mac couldn’t understand why she was so nervous. The marriage was still a business deal they were entering with their eyes wide open but things changed in the last few days, it wouldn’t be a marriage without feelings anymore. There was a chance of it becoming more or a chance it would crash and burn then they’d be stuck with each other in a marriage laced with animosity and hurt.

She reminded herself over and over she couldn’t have second thoughts. The custody hearing was still coming and nothing was more important than Megan.

She sat in the living room with the little girl on her lap as they watched a movie. They were only into the first few minutes when someone knocked on the door. “You keep watching.” She sat Megan down on the couch and went to go see who it was. Dean still had class for the next hour. “Mrs. Chandler, hi come in.”

Alicia strolled in with another folder under her arm. “The rehearsal dinner is tonight.”

“I remember. Megan and I picked out our dresses last night.” Mac added before the older woman asked. Over the last week Alicia had drilled into her head nothing should be left for the last minute.

“Good. I have confirmation all the guests are in town. They’ll be meeting us at the restaurant where we’ll have dinner then go over to the church where Father Miller will walk you though the ceremony.”  Alicia explained while fingering through her notes written in the folder.

“Sounds great.” Mac’s stomach still tightened but the urge to throw up was getting better.   

“Alright.” Alicia shut the folder and finally looked at Mac. “Jake is going to be there. The last time we had dinner it didn’t go very well.”

“I was surprised to see him.” Mac hated having to explain herself but for Dean she couldn’t be rude to his mother.

“What I meant was the embrace my son caught you in. It wouldn’t be in your best interest to break his heart.”

Mac had been waiting for this; the threats and warnings that came with marrying Dean. She was surprised it took Mrs. Chandler this long. “Nothing is happening between me and Jake and nothing will. Nothing means more to me then Megan and Dean. I understand you want what’s best for them and I respect that but after this moment I never want to hear you threaten me again. I don’t want it to be years from now and you still think I’m the worst mistake Dean’s ever made. We will get married tomorrow whether you like it or not.”

To her surprise Alicia smiled. “I’ve been wondering where your claws have gone. It’s not good to be timid for anyone dear. I have my reservations but I do hope this won’t be my son’s biggest mistake. I want him to be happy and you make him smile in a way I’ve never seen before. Be at the restaurant no later then six.” She gathered her folder and purse before making her exit through the door.

Mac stood there feeling shocked and proud. It felt nice to finally have Mrs. Chandler off her back without the backlash hurting too badly. She glanced at the clock then rushed back to the living room. “Come on munchkin we have to start getting ready.” She turned off the TV then took the little girl’s hand.

After three hours of shopping yesterday Megan and Mac bought matching dresses for tonight’s dinner. Megan had wanted something new and pretty and Mac hadn’t had a dress at all. Dean hadn’t passed up the chance to crack a joke, she punched him in the shoulder before leaving to the mall.

Megan’s dress was light blue with white satin ribbon making up the hem. Mac tied matching ribbon into her hair and then helped her into her matching blue shoes.