Chapter 31

Chapter 31

“Hey, beautiful.” Jake said softly, a small smile across his lips when he saw her.

Mackenzie didn’t look directly at him. “Hi.” She whispered, her eyes glossy with hot tears. “I have to um….go.” without anymore warning she disappeared out of the living room up the stairs to the bedroom.

Dean watched her go with a strong urge to follow her and make sure she was ok but it had been obvious she wasn’t and he knew she wouldn’t open up to him. He turned to his cousin instead who he hadn’t seen in years either. “Mom didn’t tell me you were coming.”

“She does like her drama. It is ok I’m here?”

“That depends. If you’re here as my cousin to wish me luck and spend time with the family then yeah I’m happy to have you here because no matter what we’ve always been like brothers. But if you’re here to ruin what I have with Mackenzie then no it’s not ok.” Dean kept thinking about the fact Mackenzie left crying, what had happened between them? If she was crying did it mean she still had feelings for the guy? Dean really wished his mother would’ve said something or at least had common sense not to invite Mac’s ex-boyfriend to dinner even if he was apart of the family.

“I came because Aunt Alicia told me you were getting married and wanted us all to come. I was close and she invited me to dinner. I came because we haven’t seen each other in years and I missed you knucklehead.” Dean took the hug he offered. “I wouldn’t try to steal your fiancé away from you. I offered to step back before if you remember.”

“Yeah but back then I was too stupid to realize what I was feeling. Mom and Megan are in the kitchen right through there, go say hi while I find out where my bride-to be ran off to.” He slapped his cousin affectionately on the back and sent him away. It was really good to see Jake again. Dean had missed his family a great deal but once he left to college he found it easier and better for Megan to focus on school and making something for their lives. 

He went upstairs and called out Mackenzie’s name but got no answer. He found her in their bedroom closet sitting on the floor with her head rested on her knees. “I won’t ask if you’re ok but maybe you can tell me what’s wrong.” He stepped inside and sat next to her.

“It’s nothing.”

Dean didn’t like how sad her voice was or the fact she was still crying. He had only seen her cry once before and that ended up being the worse day of his life; when she walked out of it. “Jake’s staying for dinner and you can’t stay hidden in here all night. Are you upset because he’s here?”

“I would’ve liked a warning but it was bound to happen except I didn’t factor it in until now. Of course marrying into your family I’d see him again.” She ran both hands through her long hair and kept her chin rested on her knees.

“Was it a bad break-up that you hoped to never see him again?”

“You’re not being subtle Chandler.” She said with an edge.

He mentally groaned, she only called him by his last name when she was pissed at him and with Mackenzie Ashby the list could be endless. “I’m not trying to be. When did you and Jake break-up?”

She sighed and mulled the question over for a minute. “Two months after you left for school. I don’t want to talk about this especially with you. I’m over it now, let’s go finish with dinner.”

He grabbed a hold of her hand before she could try and stand up. “Wait. I’m worried about you.” Over the last two days he realized it was a mistake to dance around the truth, if they had any chance he needed to be honest with her. “I thought you and Jake would’ve been better with me gone, it would’ve gave you the time back you spent cursing me.” It was a bad joke he offered with a shaky smile.