|| Chapter 43 - Strength & Weakness ||

Death walks away from me and towards Althea, his features returning to normal – or at least to what they were before he threatened my existence. Althea stiffens when he comes closer. Griffith now stands behind her with Zebediah and Ektor. Even Ektor's surprised at what had happened. Caius wouldn't tell him everything, now would he?

I am still recovering from the effect of the scythe. The way it hovered just above my skin, the way it cause pain to me even when it didn't touch me. I can never forget the way it felt, the way it made me numb.

Death is not one to be played with.

I expect him to rage out again, let his anger out on the reapers for having chosen my command over an age old conduct. Instead, he heaves a long sigh and shakes his head. He looks around at everyone, no longer carrying the intimidating aura around him and stays silent for a while, as though he's thinking of something. Running a hand through his hair, he reveals the exhausted side of him. His face resembles that of someone who has had struggles of his own and choices that have affected him gravely. Despite his odd appearance, he seems more human to me now. It's like suddenly something snapped inside of him, causing this change in attitude.

After a long moment of thought, he murmurs, "I'm stupid for having done that. Scaring and scarring a soul to just prove a point. I'm just not in the best state right now." He turns his back to us, his head low. "You brought me here for Caius. You want me to do something."

"We want to know why you didn't do anything," Althea demands softly. She doesn't seem scared or angry in any way. She speaks in a tone that carries a hint of respect and the desire to be understanding. "We want to know why he's still doing this."

He sighs again. "I know you want help. I know you think I'm your only hope." He turns to face us with brooding eyes. "But I'm sorry. I can't help you."

I can feel something break inside of me as soon as he says those words. I part my lips, not wanting to believe him. He can't help? What does that supposed to mean? I know that the reapers feel the same shock too.

"What? I–I don't. . ." Althea begins to speak.

"I can't stop Caius," Death says. "All the anger that I've let out today, it wasn't about you, but I was disappointed with myself. Agitated to think that you see me as someone who would save you, but in reality, I am just another pawn in Caius' game."

I can't believe I'm actually hearing this. Even Death, the end of everything, says he has no chance against Caius.

"Why?" Althea asks, her voice a mixture of disappointment and desperation. "You didn't stop him them, you won't stop him now. Why?"

"Stopping him would mean killing him," Death says. "I can't do that." He has something to say, but he's holding himself back. He's hesitant.

The dazed look on Althea's face is almost heart-breaking. She thought this was the only way. Everyone did. "Why?" Althea insists, her impatience making her louder.

Death looks at her in a way that shows guilt and remorse. After a long, undying moment he says, "Caius, like every one of you, is a part of the Order."

"So?"

"So, by asking me to kill him, you'll be asking me to disrupt my own creation," Death snaps. "I, of everything in this universe, can't do that."

"Well then, we'll do it!" Zebediah says. "If we're together, taking him down wouldn't be a problem, would it?"

To show their support, the rest of the reapers voice an unsynchronised "yes".