12/Definitely Stark's sister

Steve sighed. They had been watching Simon Bates for a week and it was getting them no where. He didn't see anyone; he rarely left his flat unless it was to run to the video store or the grocery store. Steve would much rather be at home with Ella and the rest of the avengers. Ella. He had been thinking about her a lot lately, especially after their almost kiss. What did that mean? Did she want to kiss him too, or did that mean something else in the 21st century he wasn't aware of?

"Earth to Steve!" Clint called bringing him out of his thoughts

"What?"

"I asked what you wanted to do about Bates." Clint repeated

"I think we go direct. Knock on the door and go from there. This is getting us no where." Steve replied. Clint nodded and began packing up his arrows. Steve looked at him confused.

"It might be easier if we go in uniform, incase he doesn't know who we are." Steve nodded and went to retrieve his Captain America suit from where he packed it.

20 minutes later Captain America and Hawkeye were standing outside Simon Bates' flat waiting for him to answer the door. They hear shuffling before the door opened to reveal a middle aged man. He had dark hair that looked like it hadn't been brushed in days. He was a slightly chubby man with thick frame glasses perched on his nose. He stared at them open mouthed.

"Mr Bates, we need to talk." Captain America said as Hawkeye brought his bow up to eye level.

"Here is how this is going to work, you are going to tell us what we need to know and then we sent someone in here to arrest you. You lie to us and I will use you as target practice" Hawkeye stated bluntly.

"Arrest me? For what?" Bates gulped

"Disturbing the peace, not showering in a week, you pick." Hawkeye replied, crinkling his nose at the smell. The flat itself wasn't exactly clean. Take out cartons and beer bottles littered almost every surface and everything other than the laptop on the sofa looked untouched.

"Who do you work for?" Captain America asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Bates replied. Hawkeye brought the bow up again, lining the arrow up with Simon Bates' shoulder.

"Okay! Okay, I never met them. We speak over the phone and via email. This guy tells me what to do and I do it. If I do it right then I get paid"

"What does he want you to do?" Captain America asked crossing his arms over his chest. Simon gulped again.

"I don't know!" Hawkeye glared at him, "Honestly I don't. He doesn't trust me with the plan in advance. I know it's only the beginning and he has something big planned to destroy you guys but I don't know what. I swear! Oh god! Don't hurt me! I love the avengers! Go team!" He began sobbing. Captain America and Hawkeye just looked at each other.

"Get the laptop; they might be information on it." Captain America said. Hawkeye nodded before collecting the item in question.

"Is there anything else I need to know?" He asked Bates who was still on the floor.

"He left me a message for you." He stuttered

"What's the message?" Hawkeye asked

"The worst is yet to come."

/

"Stupid Tony!" Ella fumed as she stalked into the gym, "Such a jerk!" she mumbled as she walked over to the punching bag. She wasn't normally a violent person but her big brother really made her want to hit something, he was far too stubborn for his own good.

Without thinking she threw a sloppy punch against the bag in front of her trying to relive some of her anger. Someone must have replaced it has Steve threw the last one across the room. The next thing she felt was pain as her fist collided with the bag.

"Shit!" She cursed, clutching her hand to her chest

"You know you really aren't very good at that." The voice of Natasha Romanoff remarked from across the room. She spun around to find the red head in question sitting on a bench smirking at her.

"I hadn't had a lot of practice. Tony just gets me so mad sometimes."

"He tends to do that to everyone. What did Stark do this time?" Natasha asked, taking her hair out of its previous ponytail and shaking it out.

"Nothing really, just being an annoying brother. God knows why, he hasn't really been there before now. I guess I just don't know how to deal with an overprotective brother as I have never had one before, you know?"

Natasha nodded curtly, clearly the conversation topic was making her uncomfortable given the fact the spy had never mentioned any family and therefore didn't have anything to say on the matter. Ella smiled sheepishly.

"Seriously though if you are going to be living here for a while maybe learning some self defence wouldn't be a bad thing. I can teach you if you like?" Natasha shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal. She stared at the assassin open mouthed, probably resembling a fish. She was completely shocked by the offer but wasn't going to pass up the opportunity of becoming firmer friends with the mysterious member of the team.

"Actually that would be great, but to be honest you will have your work cut out for you. I'm more of a computer girl."

"Don't worry, by the time I finish with you you'll be able to hold your own in a fight." That comment made Ella shiver but she shook it off, "You should get Bruce to look at that too." Natasha said nodding to her hand.

"Yeah I might just do that, thanks." She said as she turned to leave the gym.

"Half 9 here, tomorrow morning don't be late." Natasha called after her.

"Yes ma'am." Ella called but didn't turn back and therefore didn't notice the small smirk on Natasha's face.

"Definitely Stark's sister." She muttered as she walked over to the mats to continue her gym session.

/