The Grand Piano

Chapter 2 - The Grand Piano

“I can’t believe you heard that. I was sure no one could hear me” Blaine smiled slightly and turned slightly pink, embarrassed. “Now they want me to audition for New Directions. I’m not sure I could do that. It would mean game on between the New Directions and the Warblers and I don’t know if I could do that.” Kurt smiled at the boy sitting next to him as he drove towards Blaine’s house.

 “Come on, you can’t tell me you don’t want to sing and dance. Any way they only want to you to audition so you can sing in front of them again. You’re basically already a New Direction even if Mr Shue hasn’t heard you. And between you and me, it sounds like Finn might be having run for his money. Rachel wants you to be the new male lead.”

“Arg. I don’t want you guys to just go around and replace people, Finn was there first and he is way better than me”

“Sweetie, your better than him at singing and dancing”

“You have to say that. I’m your boyfriend”

“Hey guys, you do realise I’m still here right?” Finn said from the back. Blaine and Kurt started laughing. “Thanks Blaine, for sticking up for me”

“No problem, Finn” Blaine smiled trying not to laugh. With that Kurt pulled into Blaine’s driveway. Blaine started getting out of the car when Kurt turned it off. 

Blaine turned to his boyfriend, “Okay, come on.” He smirked and went around the other side and opened Kurt’s door for him. Kurt took Blaine’s offering hand and hoped out. Finn jumped over into the driver’s seat.

“I’ll see you when you get home then, Kurt. Behave yourself.” This made the two lovers laugh. “See you tomorrow Blaine.”

“Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow.” And with that Blaine grabbed Kurt’s bag and put it on his shoulder, took Kurt’s hand and lead him towards the front door.  Kurt smiled and let himself be pulled along. They waved as Finn drove away before entering the house.

The house was bigger than what Kurt had expected. It was two-story and looked extremely posh inside with the wooden flooring. Neither of Blaine’s parents was home as they both had full time jobs. Blaine dragged Kurt through the lounge room and up the stairs. Kurt looked at his surroundings. This house was luxury compared to his house.

Entering Blaine’s room, Kurt expected to see what most 17 year old kids have on their walls, posters of rock bands, hot girls, football (well at least that’s what Finn has in his room), but not in Blaine’s room. It was covered in Starkid production posters.  Kurt gaped. “You like Starkid productions. No way”

Blaine laughed “Yes I do, but were not here to talk about the productions as supermegafoxyawesomehot they are. We’re here to decided what I’m going to sing for my auditions” as he nudged Kurt away from the posters. Kurt looked around the room and noticed how big it was. Not only were there a double bed, a couch and a desk in the room but a grand piano, guitar and a drum set.  Kurt lied down on the bed and looked at Blaine who was just standing there.

“Come on, let’s hear something.” Kurt smiled up at him. “Should I go and get some popcorn for this performance”

Blaine laughed and raced over and started tickling Kurt. “Stop it” Kurt managed to say in between all the giggling. Blaine sat up and pulled Kurt up with him.

“Okay, if you want me to ‘preform’ for you, then you must accept that I will be singing to you not at you” This made Kurt blush bright red. Blaine got up before Kurt could stop him and went over and sat at the piano which, ironically, faced that bed. From where Blaine sat at the piano, he could easily serenade Kurt. “I’m going to sing you the song that I wanted to sing to you the first time we met.”

Blaine’s hands glided over the piano making a soft melody. Blaine started to sing, his voice hitting just the right notes.

I've been alone

Surrounded by darkness

I've seen how heartless

The world can be

I've seen you crying

You felt like it's hopeless

I'll always do my best

To make you see

Kurt blushed bright red. He grabbed one of Blaine’s pillows and hid his head into it, but the boy at the piano just smiled and continued to serenade the boy.

Baby, you're not alone

Cause you're here with me

And nothing's ever gonna bring us down

Cause nothing can keep me from lovin' you

And you know it's true

It don't matter what'll come to be

Our love is all we need to make it through

Kurt looked up from the pillow to see the boy staring at him singing with all his heart. Kurt threw the pillow, which Blaine dodged with ease not even stopping the music as he did.

Now I know it ain't easy

But it ain't hard trying

Every time I see you smiling

And I feel you so close to me

And you tell me

Blaine smirked and rose from the piano, the music from the piano stopped, but it wasn’t need the boys voice held the melody.

Baby, you're not alone

Cause you're here with me

And nothing's ever gonna bring us down

Cause nothing can keep me from lovin' you

And you know it's true

It don't matter what'll come to be

Our love is all we need to make it through

Blaine moved towards the embarrassed boy and pulled him off the bed.

I still have trouble

I trip and stumble

Trying to make sense of things sometimes

I look for reasons

But I don't need 'em

All I need is to look in your eyes

And I realize

The two of them danced together around the room, Blaine leading.  Kurt couldn’t help but laugh. The chorus came and both boys sang to each other with as much passion as they could.  Their voices drifted away as Blaine returned to the piano with Kurt and finished the song.

Baby I'm not alone

Cause you're here with me

And nothing's ever gonna take us down

Cause nothing can keep me from lovin' you

And you know it's true

It don't matter what'll come to be

Our love is all we need to make it through, ooh

Cause you're here with me

And nothing's ever gonna bring us down

Cause nothing, nothing, nothing can keep me from lovin' you

And you know it's true

It don't matter what'll come to be

You know our love is all we need

Our love is all we need to make it through

Kurt sighed and leaned against Blaine. “I love you”

“I love you too” Blaine replied and leant down to kiss Kurt passionately.

 ------

Not Alone - Darren Criss