Secret of the Moonlight

Start from the beginning

***

Isabelle reached where Calvin lived, finally, and upon entering, she was greeted by Lana. She had dark, sleek hair that was pulled back to reveal a full, fresh face. She was fourteen years of age, and ran to give Isabelle a hug. Calvin, along with Lana, lived alone with their brother Darren; their parents had passed away recently following a famous case that involved the serial killer known only as SERK, leaving Calvin to take care of the family.

Isabelle tried very hard to hide what happened in the station from Calvin, but he saw right through her acts of bravery. "What's wrong, Isabelle? Won't you tell me?" he asked.

"They told me that the only person who can help is your friend . . . Mael . . ." she finally said.

"That's great! I'm sure he can help, don't worry. I don't think this is serious anyways!" When he finished his sentence, Isabelle slapped him. What am I to do if I lose you? she thought to herself, but she didn't say it. She was too proud to. They all went to sleep.

It was during the middle of the night when Calvin's phone rang. He woke up and answered, "Hello?"

"Yeah, Calvin, this is Mael. Look, I heard what happened to you, and I want you to be extremely careful. The killer is named SERK. Up to now, he has avoided all attempts at capture. That's why someone like me was sent after him," he said.

"Mael . . . is it true that you knew my father?" Calvin asked.

"Yes . . . Your father was a good man, and I swear to you, I will do everything within my power to keep you safe. I'll be personally investigating this case."

"Thanks . . . I feel better already."

"How's your sister Lana? Does she still have that red purse your father got her?" Mael giggled.

"Ahhh, yeah, she does. She's taller now. If I'm not careful, she will be as tall as me in a couple of months!"

"I have to meet up with you guys sometime. Anyways, goodbye." Mael hung up the phone.

Calvin went back to sleep.

That same morning, the doorbell rang fiercely; Calvin woke up and made his way to open the door. "Adrian?!" he said.

Adrian was their cousin who had grown up along with Calvin and Darren. "Cav, you need to leave. I heard the news, SERK is after you . . ." he barged in.

"It's okay, dude, Mael said that he will protect me."

"That's part of it! Mael was found dead! Eyewitnesses say that he was crying moments before his death! SERK will attack you, here, and you are putting the lives of everyone in danger!"

Calvin lowered his head, and frowned in disbelief. "What's the solution, then? I don't want to put them at risk, Adrian . . . First my father, and now Mael . . ."

"Come with me, it's safer like thi-"

Adrian was interrupted by an ungodly sound that shook the entire house. A window broke. They rushed in fast to investigate, and found a brick. At this instant, they heard Lana scream her lungs out, running to her room with tears covering her face. They rushed in and found Darren, dead. He was stabbed in the heart.

Adrian grabbed Calvin and pulled him. "Do you see what I mean? They'll never be safe here! We have to leave before it's too late!"

Calvin was too shocked; he couldn't react to anything. Whatever happened to Mael? The thoughts lingered within his mind. "What about Lana?" he said.