Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Hey!"

My brain recognised the noise, and realised that it was a word, directed at me, however my body had decided long ago that it wanted sleep. Lots of sleep, for that matter. I simply took a deep breath and let it out, allowing myself to sink deeper into the mattress.

"Oi!"

The same voice spoke. It sounded similar to my half listening ears. Still, the coziness of sleep was still more inviting than hearing what the person had to say. A small smile flitted across my face as I thought about how irritated the owner of the voice was getting.

"Oh, come on, Rosie! I know you're awake."

"Yeah, well; I'm trying not to be," I mumbled back before snuggling further under the rough, but warm blankets.

I flinched when something made contact with my nose, causing me to wrinkle it. The person only laughed and continued to repeat the action, inflicting slight pain to my nose. I already had vague idea in my mind of who the person is, and my suspicions were confirmed when I heard someone gasp, "Daniel, stop. If she needs rest, then let her sleep."

I opened my eyes in time to see my older brother scoff and roll his hazel eyes. "She's had enough sleep over the last few days; if I didn't know any better, I'd have said she was comatose."

"Aww, I missed you too!" I cooed, pinching his cheek.

He swiped my hands away mumbling, "Whatever" under his breath whilst receding back into the chair and folding his arms across his chest. He pouted and looked over at me. Compared to the mystery guy who was sitting in the same position yesterday, Daniel looked like a sad puppy. A round of giggles burst out of me at the thought.

"What?" he asked, probably thinking that I was under the influence of drugs and was randomly laughing all the time. The first part of that was true: I was under the influence of drugs, I probably will be for a long time and would be on lots of them, too, by the sounds of it. But I could be wrong; I don't understand doctor's language, not even after all these years of hearing the jargon. I can't focus long enough to understand anything they're saying anyway.

"Nothing, nothing," I said, forcing my giggles to subside.

"Hi, honey," my mum said softly, bending over to give me a gentle hug. Her touch was so gentle, I barely felt it. She was treating me like I was made out of glass again. Typical. My ever-jovial dad ruffled my hair.

"Hey kid!" he grinned brightly.

"Hey guys!"

"You okay?" Daniel asked.

"Yup, you?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be? You're the one in hospital!" he spoke in a condensing, patronising tone.

"Alright, sarcastic; I was just asking." When I looked back to my parents, I saw that my dad was grasping tightly onto my mum, who had tears glistening in her eyes.

"Why is she -" I began, but before I even finished my sentence, my dad jumped in saying:

"I have no idea..."

We all sat in silence, apart from my mum, who let out the odd sniffle now and then.

All of a sudden, my mum seemed to snap herself out of her crying daze, asking, "Honey are you hungry?"

Another typical question from my mum. I shook my head with a smile on my face. "Nah, I'm fine."

Concern was woven into her features, but I spoke up before she could ask again. "Really mum, I'm fine; stop worrying. It all worked out okay, right?"