Chapter 14 On course to Rosetta. Trying to solve the big mystery

Becky woke me with a coffee tube spiked with more of Georgy's concoctions, and a kiss.

"All done with Mitch, he's five zero's perfect, and Gamma was erased without conflict. Henry's told me about the early launch plan, so we briefed Mitch and he's final planning. We're currently counting down for one minute past two a.m. That gives us half an hour to find any loose kit and an hour to get comfortable in the pressure suits. Henry said they'd toothcombed the ship so that leaves this cabin, the galley and the control room. Oh, and the oxygen and water tanks bay."

"The bay's all right pet, I checked it after I gave Henry the goods. I'll get dressed and make this cabin secure, and the washroom. You sort out the galley and we'll do the control room together."

Becky left me to my ablutions. As I was dressing after shaving and showering, I said, "Mitch if you're busy ignore me, I'm just being companionable - Good morning."

"Good morning Lewis. Yes I am busy, but we are able to do something that the Mark I brain cannot, and that is to do two analytical tasks at once. I may have to hesitate occasionally, that is all."

"You've been talking to Beta. It was to her I mentioned Mark I brain."

"Yes I talked with her while Rebecca was going through the test routines. They are not really very demanding. Lewis, although I am calculating the mission as requested, there are aspects to it that I find puzzling."

"Me too Mitch. My thought was to address that along with our other concerns about missions in general once we're in free orbit on course to comet Rosetta."

"Very well Lewis," said Mitch, "We will review the mission later."

Becky looked trim and efficient in white coverall, and the galley was spotless. "All OK here," she said.

We reached the control room. I said, "Thank God we're not subjected to the President of the USA pontificating about us. At least we can work in peace."

Becky said, "You know, love, I'm a little puzzled about that. Usually Fritz is specific about what he wants to feed his publicity machine, but he hasn't called for anything. Unless he's asked Henry. Mitch, put us through to Henry please."

"Morning kids, how goes it, as if I didn't know. Beta's monitoring every move through Mitch so we've got everything. What's to do?"

"Henry. Has Fritz asked for any material for publicity?"

"No. Funny that. Got to be a first time for everything, though. I suppose he's satisfied with the material the computers keep; after all it's not like you being on Mars. You're on board with umpteen cameras taking a digital record. As insurance and only if you have time why not take some pictures? You're as near professional as Fritz could get. And if he doesn't want it you've got a unique home movie to bore your visitors with."

"OK Henry. Thought I'd ask is all. We'll get on."

"Henry has a point, Becky, Mitch has a digital record of all that happens in the public areas of the ship, and external cameras fore, aft and four radial ones too. You couldn't add much to that. Particularly from now on until we take the pressure suits off."

"OK, forget it. Have a hug now, we won't feel much in the zoot suits." It was warm and comforting. "Good luck my love, do all Georgy's told you to do. Shut your eyes and remember," we said together, "Breathing exercises."

The pressure suit was not the same thing as an environmental or so named space suit. It was more of a bionic extension to the human frame. Double-layered, heavy, dark, rubberised, reinforced plastic, tailored absolutely in every detail, and engineered to compress and keep the body in shape by means of controlled silicone lubricant pressure zones between the layers. For the head a similarly designed balaclava with a transparent cover over the eyes which was fed with compressed oxygen and helium, again controlled in pressure. Trimming gases were added for any excursions from normal detected by the many sensors in the suit. It took three quarters of an hour to put the smooth, silky complete body encompassing undergarment on, and then the suit and then connect and check the many metering loops to Mitch's slave computer.