Chapter 20 {We don't know it yet}

Faith POV: 

My head rests comfortably, and naturally, upon Tim's bare chest. Every breath he takes reassures me that I'm alright, and that things are going to work out. Three years ago, I would've never imagined Tim as my source of stability, but here I am... His warm hand brushes his fingers through my hair, before placing them under my chin, tilting my head up to look up into his eyes. He smiles, and I smile back, feeling at home. 

"I love you..." I whisper, lifting myself up slightly to kiss him. He smiles even harder, and turns toward the window which sunlight now pierces. The sunrise is brilliant and orange this morning, casting a citrus color on us. His fingers slowly intertwine with mine, before he studies how hands look as they lay tied together. My leg crosses over his while I lie on my stomach, looking up at him. Something about him captivates me still. 

"What's our plan?" He asks quietly, laying his lips on my forehead. I shrug, and shut my eyes lightly. He stretches his arm toward his nightstand and grabs something out of the drawer, before slipping it on my hand. I smile before even seeing it. He kisses the ring, before holding my left hand tightly in his hand. "Marry me?" He whispers, his voice rasping. I laugh a little and nod. 

"Absolutely." I agree, giving him a kiss. I take his ring off his left hand, since he's been wearing it for the last year and a half anyways, and kiss it, before slowly slipping it back on his finger. He smiles, and sighs. 

"We need new vows." He decides, running his fingers through my hair. I grin, and sit up, trying to think of what I'd say. He watches me, biting his lip to hide a smile.

"Tim McGraw, I promise to..." I begin, before smiling brightly. "love you, and care for you through thick and thin... I promise to forgive your mistakes, and crude humor..." I continue, looking down at him for inspiration. "I promise to be a good mother, and a good friend... I promise to hold your hand and to support you in all of your endeavors... I love you..." I finally give up after fumbling around. He laughs, and pulls me down to kiss him. 

"That was beautiful, baby." He laughs, as the door suddenly swings open. His mother stands in the doorway, watching me quickly try to cover myself with a sheet. 

"You guys ready?" She asks, seeming unenthused. She wears all black, with her hair tied back in a tight bun. Tim and I stare at her for a moment, a little confused. 

"I didn't think it was today." Tim says, releasing a little cough to clear his throat. She nods, and picks at her black gloves. 

"Well it is. We are leaving in fifteen minutes." She responds firmly, walking out. Tim and I turn very somber as we slowly get up and search for funeral clothes. I slip on a black dress with some black heels, and leave my hair down to cover my shoulders. I look over at Tim and watch him fumble around for a tie. I walk over, and grab a tie out of his drawer, and start to tie it for him. He takes a deep breath, and kisses my forehead. 

"I'm sorry, baby." He whispers, leaving his lips against my forehead. I nod slowly, finishing his tie and brushing off his shoulders. 

"It's alright." I reply, trying to prepare myself for the emotional rollercoaster ahead. Tim and his father were never close, but there were getting there over the last few months after his cancer diagnosis. He wasn't supposed to go this soon, so it caught everyone off guard, especially Tim. 

The ceremony is quick, thankfully. Tim has managed to remain composed and the girls behaved. All went as good as it could've gone. I can tell by how Tim's breathing though that it's only a matter of time till he breaks down. I drive home, giving him a bit to calm down. He stares out his side window at the fields and trees while I drive. 

I slam on the breaks once I turn in the driveway, spotting a truck there that's all too familiar. Tim jumps, and looks over at me with a bit of shock. He catches his breath for a moment, caught off guard by the sudden stop. 

"You alright?" He asks, placing his hand on my shoulder. I shake my head quickly, and begin to panic. I don't know what to do or where to go... "What's wrong?" He ask quietly. 

"That's my dad's truck..." I spit out, hyperventilating. Tim nods slowly, trying to address the situation calmly. 

"Alright, well I'm sure everything is going to be fine." He says, making me want to scream. I shake my head once more, beginning to sob. 

"He's mad that I left... He told me that if he found me... he'd... he'd..." I cry out. Tim tries to quiet me down so I don't cause the girls to panic, but it's difficult. 

"He can't hurt you as long as I'm here. Alright?" Tim reassures me. I slowly roll up toward the house, before putting the car in park. He gets out of the car, and goes back and unbuckles the kids like nothing had ever happened. However, I can tell there's something off. He's nervous. I walk with Gracie up to the door while Tim follows behind me with Maggie and Audrey. When I go to unlock the door, I notice that it's already cracked open. I feel nauseous, as Tim steps in front of me, trying to protect us. He steps inside first, and looks around carefully, as if he were at risk of triggering a bomb. 

"Momma?" Maggie calls out, clinging to my leg. I hush her, and watch Tim slowly walk in. Once he reaches the kitchen, we follow him in. He digs in the drawer where he keeps a handgun just in case, and freezes. He looks up at me and points to the drawer. 

"Faith, it's not in here." He whispers. My chest feels tight, as I turn around to see the girls are already dispersing. 

"Guys, stay here." I demand. Gracie pouts, wanting to go change. I chase after Audrey who is trying to hobble down the hall toward the garage. When I turn around, I have only a few seconds to shut my eyes before a loud crack sounds throughout the house. 

I open my eyes to see Tim fall onto his knees, before landing on his stomach and screaming. My father stands over him, aiming the gun at his head and staring at me. Tim quivers, while letting out blood curdling screams. He desperately covers the wound on his stomach with his hands, while the blood pours from within him. He's in a state of complete panic, trying to keep himself alive from what looks like a fatal wound. 

"You get in the truck, or the next one goes in his head." My father demands, leaving me frozen. Gracie and Maggie are wailing, watching their father die on the floor in front of them. I can't leave them like this. 

"Please let me stay with him..." I plead, breaking down into tears. My father shakes his head, and pulls the safety on the gun. "Just let me put a bandage on him..." I cry out, slowly tip toeing toward him. He shakes his head again. 

"Get in the truck, Audrey." My father spits out. Tim's screams are growing louder as he grows paler. 

"I'll go, but only if I can help him... Please..." I make one last desperate attempt. My father rolls his eyes and puts down the gun, permitting me to place bandages on him. I quickly rush to the bathroom and grab a first aid kit, before rushing to his side. The bullet is lodged in his stomach, likely on a rib. I get pliers, and slowly pry out the tiny metal, causing him to shriek. He grinds his teeth together as I rip it out, and quickly apply bandages on top. He gasps for air, as I start to apply pressure. 

"Alright, enough." My father says, warning me that my time is up. I kiss Tim quickly, and squeeze his hand. 

"You'll be alright. Take care of the girls. I love you." I whisper quickly, and my father peels me away. Tim breathes deeply in response. He watches me as my father begins to drag me away. 

"I love you too." He cries out, virtually helpless. My father hears this, igniting something in his mind. I panic as he charges toward Tim, and holds the gun up. He fires once more, causing Tim to howl. Tim clasps onto his leg and screeches, as my father turns around and drags me out of the house and into the truck.