She had spoken quite adamantly that marriage was not an option, but she had given herself to him, had experienced the desires that a man and woman shared.

            What did it mean when her heart beat for him and no other? He had been so gentle, so tender in their lovemaking that even now her heart swelled at the remembrance of his caresses.

            Ginelle gasped and her eyes widened as she was struck with a startling epiphany. She loved him. How could she have been so blind? His presence unraveled her completely, melting her limbs in a pool of heat as his searing gaze sought her out.

            Though his dominance frightened her, she knew in her heart that there was no other that could make her feel this way.

            She was struck with a sudden thought for though she loved Dorian, Dorian did not love her in return. He was a man of solitude, a man destined to live a life of loneliness, never to marry.

            She was a fool to even think he would take her as his wife, and yet, she would allow him to take her to his bed?

            A sudden anger filled her veins for she refused to become his mistress! Mayhap he was finished with her, and though the lingering thought pained her that he would use and discard her so cruelly, she would rather end this now than risk losing her heart further to a man who did not love her.

            At that, she quickly washed and dressed, all the while, her mind plagued with their lovemaking. He made her feel alive, aware of her body in ways she thought never to imagine. 

            Quickly dismissing the heated thoughts from her mind, she fled his room, eagerly seeking a distraction. Her face burned red as she swept by servants, very much aware of their knowing gazes as they spoke secretly amongst each other.

            She needed an escape and could think of only one place. Deliberately avoiding crossing paths with Lucile, she slipped through the kitchen, pass a suddenly perplexed Cook, and in to the midday sun.

            Dorian paused beneath the blistering sun to wipe the sweat from his brow but a brief flash of movement from his peripheral forced him to stiffen.

            His eyes narrowed as Ginelle disappeared within the barn and returned moments later with Millie saddled.

            At the sight of her, his body responded instantly, hardening to the point where he nearly groaned aloud. He bit down on his sudden arousal as he watched her flee on horseback. Where the devil did she think she was going?

            Once she disappeared into the thick foliage, he turned and noticed two of his laborers following her with their eyes, one in particular. He narrowed his gaze as a rage brought him to the man. “Find something of interest, slave?”