Chapter 4

Today was a rarity. Kiara did not work at all. She looked around the school campus and sighed. If she had not been so busy with studying and work, maybe she would have made a few friends. It was half past eight and she was completely done for the day.

"Hey!" somebody called. The voice came closer as if talking to her. She could not imagine that it would be anyone she knew but still turned around to make sure. "Hi, remember me?" Kiara glanced at the man. She would not forget Miguel's brother, Sergio.

"Yes, I remember," Kiara replied. "You're going to school here too? I've never seen you around."

"It's a big university, but yes, I'm in my fifth year."

"So you already have your bachelors? I'm jealous."

He chuckled and began walking beside her. "Don't be. I'm jealous of the good grades that you make."

"Only because I have signed my life away." Kiara pointed. "So what are you studying?"

"Law. I want to become a lawyer...to handle Miguel's legal work."

Kiara smiled. "That bad, huh?"

Sergio shook his head. "Not really. Miguel always covers his tracks. He's on top of everything." Kiara nodded and then looked at him.

"I guess this is goodbye." She had to walk home and did not want him feeling sorry for her.

"Are you working tonight?" he asked while taking out a set of keys.

"Well, not exactly. I was going home to study."

Sergio snagged the bag from her arm. "Then come on. Let's go out."

"I can't." She reached back for her bag.

"Why not? You aren't doing anything else."

"Because," she stopped to think, "I have class early tomorrow, and I'm not dressed to go out anyway."

"Fine, I'll take you home to change, and I'll get you back by twelve. Fair?"

Kiara exhaled and looked around. Did she really want to go out with him? She had nothing better to do except stay at home and look at the bare walls. Kiara finally gave in. "Fine, I'll go if you really get me back by twelve," she said.

"Deal."

***

At eight-thirty, Sergio pulled his white Porsche into a crowded parking lot. Kiara had no idea where she was, the only clue being a bright sign on the building that read Estrellas. Sergio jumped out of the car and walked to the passenger's side. "Are you ready?" he asked.

Kiara stepped onto the pavement, feeling a little out of place with the trendy clothes the women were wearing outside. Whenever she went somewhere with Lourdes, it would always be somewhere small. She never had to worry about not having the right clothes. Now that Kiara knew who her brothers were, it was no wonder.

She brushed out the wrinkles of her black skirt and adjusted her top; then she grabbed the arm that Sergio held out. "I will never fit in."

He smiled. "Just stick close to me and no one will bother you."

As the music grew louder than it already was, Sergio cut to the front of the line and gave his name at the door. It was no surprise that the door attendants let them both right in. They did not even check ID's. Inside, they had to push through people who had congregated. It made it hard to breathe. Sergio spoke to several people along the way before finally dragging Kiara to the bar.

"Hey, we'll be in the VIP room. Could you send someone our way?"

"Of course," said the bartender and immediately picked up a paging device.