19| as expected of storks

Start from the beginning

The mood between the two grows familiar, reminiscent, almost intimate as they speak of a time that I know nothing of.  "You saved me," he begins to chant. "You promised me. You told me that you could love me. You promised." He becomes more agitated and unstable as he goes on, visibly shaking.

"Xlavin, you and I both knew that this time would come. Whether it was I, or you, we knew--"

"No. No! It happened, it happened to me and I let her go because of you! Because of us! Because I thought you would do the same!" He screamed, left eye twitching. Lana expression grew pained and I frowned deeper. He rejected his mate--for Lana? How close were they?

He lets out an agonized howl and turns his eyes back to the spot on my neck. I grow more and more uncomfortable as Lana continues to speak. "Anyways, it doesn't matter now. You can always go find her, I mean you have forever--" Lana's soothing words are drowning out by the shifting of bones and before I know it, Xlavin shifts lunging at my neck in feral rage.

Lana eyes widen in horror and in an instant she shifts as well, revealing herself to be a magnificent shade of obsidian black. She had to be at least six feet tall, towering over the bookshelves that surrounded the bookshelfs. Her claws were sharp, elongated and somewhat resembles long blunt needles, edged and curved. She was every bit as horrifying and awe inspiring as I imagined her to be. She shifted down to her paws and chased after Xlavin who was chasing me as I ran for dear life.

He grew hotter on my tails as I swung the door open and sprinted out of the room, barely passing the staircase before a pair of claws slash through the back of my t-shirt. "Shit!" I yelp, the claws barely missing my back. "I loved that goddam shirt!" I can hear the heaving panting of Xlavin behind me as I trip over my feet and land splat on my back. I await pain as I clench my eyes together, hoping I black out soon. Opening my eyes, I see a sight that will haunt me forever--a hunching crimson red wolf looming over me with its claws up ready to strike. Before I can kiss my life goodbye, the wolf's arms flop down as it lets out a slow, agonised whine. The wolf then drops between my stretched open legs, the only sounds escaping its lips a series of pained whelps. A spreading pool of dark tinted liquid began to pool out from beneath it, staining the edges of my jeans. Blood.

A menacing growl forces me to look up and face the soulless eyes of the black wolf, my mate, holding a red hind leg between its fangs. She tore his leg off.

Shock wearing off, I realize that Xlavin is bleeding out on the floor and Lana--shit Lana! She isn't supposed to shift and she's shifted twice is the span of three weeks. I realize that I'm not looking at a regular wolf right not but a Galdoni, a primitive, unhinged Galdoni. I slowly back away from the carnage as Lana softly growls in warning. She doesn't know it's you, I warn myself. Be careful.

As inconspicuously as I can, I slowly crawl my way towards the study as Lana's warning growls grow harsher and wilder. I begin to pick up my pace as I hear the thump of Xlavin's leg being dropped to the floor and the movement of her paws on the tiled floor. Shit. Shit. Shit. She's gonna eat me. She doesn't know who I am and she's gonna eat me.

I break into a sprint as Lana's steps grow louder, signalling that she was closer. I stretch my hand out to reach the doorknob and quickly run inside the study, bolting the door behind me. The door begins to shake as the weight of Lana's body slams repeatedly against the door. With shaking hands, I fumble as I dial the number of the Pack Hospital. Splinters begin to soar through the air as the door begins to break, the rumbling growls of the wolf behind it growing louder.

"Great Alpha, is there a pro--"

"Doctor!  Bring help! Bring help now! Lana, Xlavin, Xlavin's leg, she shifted, hurry!" I gasp, trying to enunciate between frightened gasps.