i miss you

Summer had avoided me for at least a week after that. I didn't understand why. Was she upset at me for something? Did I say something wrong?

I had only told her what she wanted to know: his name. I couldn't think about why it would affect her so that she wouldn't speak to me.

I didn't want to be that annoying person that demanded to know what was wrong, so I gave her time to work it out. But a day became a week and a week became two weeks and finally I decided I wanted my best friend back.

The best thing I could think of was texting her - messaging her to ask why she was upset and what I could do to help. What's wrong? I texted. We haven't talked in weeks.

Nothing, she responded. Family problems.

I thought it was a little vague, but I didn't push for more. Okay, I sent. I figured that maybe I should say something else, and before I could think about it, my fingers were moving across the keyboard. I stopped myself to see what I typed before I hit send.

I miss you, it read. I laughed. Scoffed. Deleted the message. I wasn't going to send that.

I went to her contact. Clicked on 'edit'. And I changed the emoji next to her name from a blue heart to the pink one with an arrow.