"You should watch the front. Enjoy the scenery."

"I am! Most stunning," I gave back, unable to hide my good mood and stupid smirk.

It was indeed though the most amazing landscape. I'd often taken the ferry from Sydney Harbour to Manly Wharf, but Tom rowed us around a group of cliffs into a bay surrounded by small, white beaches. The water seemed shallow and gleamed in an almost turquoise shade.

"I don't think I like kayaks!"

"Why is that?" Tom asked back, a little worried.

"I can't snuggle up on you."

"That's true. A definite minus. I should have considered that." He was clearly relieved. I didn't know what he'd expected.

"I wasn't sure if you still liked rowing." I took my chance to get more information out of him.

"We're not rowing, we're paddling."

"Isn't that the same?"

Tom thought this quite amusing. He slowed down and moved my seat forward, to make enough room for him to climb in right behind me. I shrieked when the kayak wobbled. It wasn't the most comfortable position, but I enjoyed leaning into Tom, feeling him. He stroked my hair and planted sweet kisses over my face while dangling his feet in the water. "Rowing and paddling are quite different. Paddling comes from the torso, for rowing you use your arms and legs more."

"So which one did you do?"

"I did mainly rowing, but for some time I also did canoeing and some kayaking at High School."

"My goodness. That sounds complicated." But it wasn't. Tom explained in full detail and with enthusiasm the differences between rowing, kayaking and canoeing. He described the different paddles, or oars, the sitting and kneeling positions and how the strokes are driven by different body parts. My head rested on Tom's chest. My eyes were closed while I listened to his relaxing, warm voice. I enjoyed listening to him. He made it all sound so interesting.

"I had no idea you still loved your water sports so much."

"I don't do it very often any more, but it used to be a big part of me. I guess the rowing somehow saved me."

I leaned back to give him a kiss.

"Okay. Let's keep going." Cheerful Tom was back. He moved my seat to the back again and climbed into his. This time, I enjoyed the swinging thrill, almost hoping we'd both fall in the water. But with Tom's expertise, that of course didn't happen.

"Want to try?" Tom challenged me.

"Absolutely! You relax!" I grabbed my paddle and managed indeed for us to turn in a full circle. Tom leisurely lay back, clearly amused.

"You're moving it! That's a good start. Now let's go straight. Our lunch is waiting for us at that beach over there." Then Tom took his paddle and gave me, once more, detailed instructions on how to steer the kayak together with him to the destined beach. It was so much more exhausting than Tom made it look.

The effort had been worth it. Set up at the small beach of crystal white sand was a wooden table with sunshade and two chairs. The table, decorated in red and white, was fully set with seafood and sandwich platters, strawberries, chocolates and a bottle of champagne. I was speechless.

"When did you organise all this?" I was touched.

"When you went to the bathroom."

"You are amazing, Tom. This is so romantic. Thank you!" I grabbed him in a hug and kissed him.