Chapter 1

.

12 am. January 1, 2015

Everyone at the party cheers as they watch the ball drop on the 72 inch flat screen T.V in Trey's house. Standing in the kitchen alone with a glass of wine, I make a toast to my future. Next week I'll be leaving Petersburg and be moving to Manhattan, New York, alone. Only God knows what this year will bring. I glance around Trey's familiar kitchen and all the memories that happened in here rush back to me and I can't help, but smile.

Trey swaggers in and envelops me in one of his bear hugs. I take in the smell of his familiar cologne. Trey and I have been best friends since the 4th grade. Our families were pretty tight and our mothers were best friends. As little kids, Trey always stood up for me when the snotty girls in our class bullied me. They were obsessed with Trey and they hated me for being so close to him.

"We made it another year, Gee", he says as he pulls back.

He looks me deep in my eyes. I hate when he does that because I feel as if he's reading my soul. He knows I'm insecure about myself and he always insists that I'm gorgeous.

Rolling my eyes, I sarcastically say "What, Trey?"

"Why are you in here alone? This ain't you, Gee. What's on your mind?"

God. Why does he have to be so caring? I give in. I fold my eyes and look at the tiles on the floor and softly reply,

"I'm a little nervous about moving to New York. I don't know if I'm making the right choice. What if my co-workers hate me? What if I mess up really bad at the hospital? What if-"

Before I can finish ranting, Trey lifts my chin up and looks me in the eyes.

"Stop doubting yourself. I know you Genevieve. I know you're smart as hell and you can show those people how special you are. Now smile for me"

I force a tight smile. Trey gives me a look.

"Come on now", he says, "You can do better than that."

I force another smile that's overexagerrated.

"Alright, you asked for it," Trey says coming after me with a mischievous smile.

"Wait, no!

Before I can protest even further, I'm on the floor being tickled by Trey.

"What the hell, Trey! Stop!" I yell in between laughs.

"Nah. You gotta stop being-"he begins to say, but stops and stares at the door. I turn and look in the same direction. Kayla.

"What the fuck?!" she yells. Kayla is crazy about Trey. She's about 5'3, alright-looking, has fat butt, with DD titties. She had medium length straight black hair, but she had it up in a bun. She thinks Trey loves her because he flirts with her. Ummm, Trey flirts with almost every girl he meets. She's delusional. I don't know how she got into the party in the first place. Oh yeah, she hates me too.

"Why are you on the floor with this thot, Trey? You're cheating on me?!" she screams.

I roll my eyes and get up.

"Shut the fuck up, trick. Trey doesn't want your dirty ass" I reply looking her in the eyes. I start towards her, but I feel Trey's strong grip around my waist, holding me back.

"Calm down", he whispers in my ear. Looking up at Kayla he says "You need to leave. I was cool with you here, but when you disrespect my friends, that ain't cool with me. Get your ass out before I call security."

With tears in her eyes, Kayla says "Baby, I''m-"

"Nah. Get the fuck out. Now." Trey firmly says cutting her off.

She gives me a death glare and leaves his house. Trey turns and looks at me.

"Sorry about that" he says

"Nothing to be sorry about. Just another one of your crazy groupies. When are you going to settle down, Trey? You're 30 now" I ask while I take a sip of my wine.

"I'm looking for her. I think I'm getting closer though" he says staring at me.

He comes and takes both of my hands.

"Ready to party?" he says while doing a little dance.

"Yeah. Let's go" I reply with a smile.

All that night while dancing, I was thinking about who the girl was. I found myself getting a bit jealous then I stopped myself. I've seen how Trey has torn girls' hearts.

By 4am, I too tired to party anymore and too drunk to drive home so I go upstairs and fall into Trey's California king sized bed and fall asleep.

The picture of Genevieve is available.

"