Chapter One

"Ginny!" Mother calls from downstairs, not bothering to be kind about it.

"What?" I shout back, annoyance seeping through my voice. It was always so obvious that we shared a hatred for each other, a blind man could see it.

"Come down here and do the dishes!" she orders.

Honestly, I should have expected it. As if she were about to invite me to join her for some tea and crumpets. I almost laughed aloud at that thought. Me and Mother sitting peacefully at the front of the house, the occasion chatter between sips of tea. That was an alternate reality. Better yet, a parallel word where I was actually liked.

It's not that I wasn't liked within my family. In fact, I was well liked. My brothers and Dad always preferred me over my twin, Ava. They all knew Ava to be rather annoying and way too self-absorbed for her own good. Unfortunately, Mother couldn't see it and adored the beautiful girl.

You see, even if the majority of the family got annoyed by Ava, they couldn't deny that she was gorgeous. Her hair was a deep shade of red that reminded me of— No. It didn't remind me of anything. That was exactly it, it was unique and nothing could compare to it. It cascaded down her back in pretty beach ways until it reached halfway. Her eyes were like the colour of the sea. Some days the looked icily blue while other days they looked forest green. All in all, they were nothing compared to my dull, boring brown eyes. Her eyes always remained a mystery to me, because I swear they not only look different some days, they completely change. She had plump pink lips and a petite nose. Her appearance was really the only thing stopping the rest of my family from completely hating her.

I never found myself getting jealous over her. I wasn't really the jealous type. Besides, looks didn't matter much to me. I always thought that it really is what's inside a person, their personality, and not their looks. Unfortunately most people don't see it this way. I knew that hidden inside of Ava was really just evilness waiting to claw its way out. Ava had never been too kind to me, either. I've learned to get used to it. In fact, I found her feeble ways to put me down entertaining.

"Ginevra! Come!" Mother sounds as if she had no patience, but I could care less. The longer she waits the better for me, the better. I would see (well, hear) her slowly getting angrier and angrier. It would be amusing.

It wasn't like she was about to punish me too much, especially with Dad on my side. As much as Mother was really the queen of the household, Dad could usually reason with her. In the end they loved each other, and she could hardly agree when she sees his pleading face.

"Ginevra," Ava said in a sing-song voice. It was okay when Mother called me Ginevra, but not the scum commonly known as my sister. I hated my name as it was, but I had gotten used to Mother calling me it.

"GINEVRA MOLLY WEASLEY, GET DOWN HERE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!" I start to think that maybe I had gone too far. I wasn't ready to face the twin devils side by side. One was enough for me. But two, two meant trouble. Well, at least for them it did.

I sigh. Why did it always have to be me? Clearly either of them had two hands and we're capable of doing the dishes perfectly fine. In fact, Mother could easily use magic to do them and it would save everyone a whole lot of trouble.

"Do you want me to get Dad?" I laugh to myself at Mother's threat. She clearly didn't understand that Dad was very much on my side and wouldn't do a thing to make me do the dishes.

"Go ahead!" I shout back at her.

I could here a loud bang from down the stairs; I was almost positive that it was Mother's fist slamming against the table or counter. She had a habit of doing that when she was angry. Unfortunately, that was something that I picked up from her as well.