20. Man of the Hour

Start from the beginning

"And you see this as something that won't change once you start to become even more popular?" Kimberly asked. 

I shrug. "Who knows? I hope we stay the way we are, but I can't speak for how becoming more popular will affect the guys."

"And the upcoming arena tour is sure to boost that popularity. How are you feeling about that?" Kimberly said, still scribbling. 

I huffed, giving myself time to think. "I think its all happened very fast. I'm nervous, but also very excited to show an audience what Kick the Crown can do on stage."

Kimberly nodded. "Well, I think I've got enough for a decent piece." She said, flicking through her notes. "But I do have one more thing."

She pulled a piece of paper from her sheaf of notes. "I know you say there's nothing between you and Nate, but you have to admit that people have no choice but to question that when faced with pictures like this."

She handed me the photograph. It was from the EP launch party, when Nate and I were waiting for Chris and Freddie to arrive. From the way Nate's head was so close to the side of my face, I could tell that it had been taken just as he had been telling me that I looked 'amazing'. Heat flushed my cheeks. 

I coughed. "I know it looks...suggestive. But honestly, we were having a normal conversation about the set list for the performance later that night." Lies lies lies. But there was nothing going on between us. So why lie?

I could tell she didn't believe me anyway. "OK. If you say so." And without a word of goodbye, she gathered her notepad and sheets of paper, before striding out of the room. 

That left me sat alone, except for the extremely unhelpful employee Elliot had ordered to sit in on the interview, in the hotel restaurant that we'd used as the scene for the Q and A. I fiddled with my purple leather skirt. I pulled on my Docs a little. Moved a fork on the table. Then I said: "Can I leave?" To the man. 

He nodded, not saying a word. Apparently, he was one of Elliot's best men, but I hadn't really seen that side to him. 

As I left, I tried to exit in that purposeful, classy way that Kimberly had so effortlessly achieved, but ended up catching my Docs on each other and stumbling slightly. I glanced behind me meekly, red-faced, but the posh people eating lunch at the tables didn't seem to have noticed. Typical teen move. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back at my apartment, I was stressing to the Jimi Hendrix Experience. It was a brilliant combination, but I was so scared even Little Wing couldn't calm me down. 

I paced in front of my wardrobe. What would I do if someone asked me why I was there? Just saying 'I'm here to support Nate as a friend' sounded like I was implying that his family didn't support him. But saying 'he asked me to come' made it sound like I didn't care that someone had died. And I really did care.

In the end, I decided to wing it. I pulled a floaty, knee-length black dress from the wardrobe. It had long sleeves and a round neck-line. Modest, but flattering. I then curled my hair and slicked on minimal make-up. Pulling the now wavy hair into a low bun, I placed my feet in my black Docs and then went back into the living room. 

It was quarter to two. I chewed on my lip nervously. This was sure to be a disaster - I'd look like a desperate girl climbing her way into Nate's family. But I didn't care that much. If Nate needed my help, then I'd give it. 

There came a knock on the door, and my heart leaped into my chest. I opened the door, and had to stop my jaw dropping. Nate was in a white shirt and black tie, a blazer slung over his shoulder. He smiled a little, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Hey," he said, in a subdued voice.