Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I opened my eyes the next morning to my mom's voice. She was in the kitchen chatting with her friend on the phone about the sudden "freeze". I smiled. Unwillingly I slid out of bed. Then I walked out of my room and met my mom in the kitchen.

"Hey mom."

"Hey. Did you sleep well?"

"Ya." I lied. I never got much sleep but it didn't really matter. I was always energized.

"There was another freeze last night."

"Ya I saw it out my window." I only froze the town about once every other week during the winter. During the summer, I freeze the streams and ponds but they melt by morning.

"Hurry up, the school bus gets here in ten minutes!" My mom called from the living room.

"Okay!" I called back.

I quickly shoved some food in a brown paper lunch bag and shoved it into my backpack.

"Bye mom!" I yelled to my mom as I left the house and ran down the street. When I got to the corner I sat on a bench that had been placed there. A few kids were already there, waiting. A few moments later, the bus screeched to a halt in front of the bench. The doors folded opened and the kids piled inside. I took my time and was the last one in. I walked to the back of the bus where I always sat and where my best friend Em was already waiting.

"Hey Gillie!" She said excitedly.

"Hey Em" I replied

"Cold this morning, huh." She remarked as a gust of wind blew in through the closing doors.

"Yeah." I agreed. Em didn't know about me, no one did. I never planned on anyone knowing either.

"Hey Gillie?"

"Yeah Em?"

"That girl over there's staring at you." She jerked her head casually and I glanced over, pretending to be scanning the bus. Sure enough there was a pretty blond curly haired girl with very light brown eyes staring at me. I had never seen her before. I looked down at my book bag and pretended to be going through it. The next time I looked up she was looking the other way.

"Hey Gillie." Em spoke up breaking the silence between us."did you finish our math homework?"

"Ya." I rummaged in my backpack and pulled out the slightly wrinkled math sheet that our teacher had assigned for last night. Em almost never finished her homework. She always got halfway through, than became distracted in some completely irrelevant thing that had no purpose whatsoever. Then when she finally remembered that she still had homework it would be late, so she figures she'll just ask me in the morning. The only sound I heard for the rest of the ride was pencil on paper as Em finished her homework.

-------••-------••-------••-------••----

What did you think of the second chapter? I promise I'll post more soon.