Do I desire.

Jeff's POV~
Saturday morning. I felt stiff from the chill that sat in the stagnant air and seemingly froze the cement. The call I'd received made me feel like I suddenly had a worry, a reason to dread sitting in here. They located my parents, and if expressing I was stable enough to leave, I would do so with them. With the news that followed however, it made me unsure that I really wanted to leave this block of gray ice.
None the less I followed the minimal routine I often completed - brushing my teeth, changing into white rags to have the previous ones bleached. It didn't take long for the larger lights along the ceiling of the halls to light, and I was served the excuse for a breakfast. However, it was what I have become used to, so it wasn't exactly any more of a thought or even taste than the slightest twinge of salt on my tongue.
By the time it was nearly noon things were in full swing, and although it didn't seem like much commotion aside from the frequent nurses, the sound was the most of it. The moaning and complaining of the patients wasn't a surprise, but everyday it was like an alarm. They always began to be louder once the sun had settled in the occasional, small and slotted windows. It was like the cold kept their teeth chattering, instead of opening wide enough to make their sorrowful groans and words.
None the less, it was annoying. Not in the way of an irritating classmate, but a ringing in my ears that never seemed to end even when they quieted. Not that I was entirely complaining, it kept the hours from being silent, and it made the thoughts of my- usual visitor, lessened. Either way, I chose not to leave my cell even when offered for the short while, laying on my cot or pacing, or even pulling the thin sheets off of the cot and remaking them. Hours had passed, my feet felt stiff and numbed from constantly being on the cold floor of cement.
But I was in luck. In for a surprise.
    "You look worse than usual." Her voice seemed to have made all of the muscles in my body contract, or at least that's how it felt when in reality- all I did was harshly flinch. Most definitely was there a desire in my mind to begin smiling, broadly.
    Yet as usual if I did smile, I allowed it to be dull, a mere taut muscle in each cheek to show the slight sign of a smile. But in reality, I had been craving somebody to talk to or even just hear, that I wasn't put-off by for some various reason. However soon enough her voice made me blink all over again, jerking me from my congested thoughts.
"How about you come out for a while? The times are still open, I can get a nurse. Come on."
    I stared at her at first like she had spoken in a foreign tongue until my mind could catch up, and process her words into understandable thoughts. "Sure." While it seemed to be such a short response, when she had nodded and turned away to actually go get a nurse, I was beyond stunned. My own response had seemed a surprise, and nearly a natural one. Normally every thought, action, and word I spoke, were entirely thought through, even if done quickly. Once again this had me choked up for words, and tangled in thought.
    "Come, I'll take you to the visiting area." The nurse, possessing auburn hair and an unsure gaze is the one who brought me back to reality this time. I followed despite still feeling a bit lost or off, similar to when waking at an odd hour of the night- things felt unfamiliar. Even so, by the time I realized it we were sitting at the flimsy tables and I was watching how her smile and expression changed depending on my own.
    This, made me smile, more prominently than prior but not overly extensive either. As expected, in reaction she gave a wide smile that carried two rows of bright teeth, little to no imperfections present within them. "What was wrong before, huh? Jeff?"
    My name. My name rang in my ears like the noon bell, but louder, and not in her voice. It made me cringe, and my expression went from a smile to worry, panic even. My hands gripped the material on top of my thighs, shakily exhaling as I had to reassure myself that this was not the same conversation repeating.
    She looked concerned once I finally returned my gaze to her. And my own expression softened, hands slowly resting onto the tabletop. "I apologize. Though, I received a call. A call that made me realize many things, and wor- no. Fear, twice over. I have a chance to go home." My words at the beginning had wavered and yet by the end of them, the words on my tongue were both serious and plain. But she looked ecstatic.
    "Well that's great! You could leave this place, you could eat something with taste, you could live again."
    "I don't know if I desire to go home to live, alongside where someone else is dying."