Chapter 2

Becca

I step hesitantly through the knee-high weeds in the backyard, the mystery man close on my heels. His hands brush against my back as he steadies himself. We both are aware we could step on something unwanted by accident.

"God damn, do you ever cut your grass?" He complains. We reach the end of the backyard where a fence lies. He places rugged hands on my waist and lifts me over the cold metal fence.

"I could've done that myself," I huff. He hoists himself up and over the chain-link fence.

"Remember we're on the run and we don't want to be in your yard forever?" He takes the lead and I follow close behind. He comes to a sudden halt and I bump into him. He takes a step forward but I tug his wrist, turning him around.

"Where are we going?" I ask, hesitant to trust him.

"I need to get my stuff." He stares at my hand wrapped around his wrist so I quickly recoil it. He smirks and stays against the wall. I follow dumbly behind.

We come up to a flat with blaring music seeping out of every crack. I'm almost positive it's the same one I ran by earlier.

"Wait here," he demands.

"Are you crazy? I'm not waiting in this alley!" I protest.

He groans and gestures for me to follow.

"Seriously wait here, I'll be out in three minutes," he promises. He slips into a door marked 2C, leaving me alone in the musky hallway. True to his word, a few minutes later he comes out, a backpack slung over his back.

"Do you have any money?" I ask as we walk hastily down the hall.

He nods and his eyebrows furrow together. "I have some savings."

I stay silent as we walk down the dark street. I feel so weak and tired, like he's taking away my strength and using it for himself.

"Where are we gonna go?" I try not to whimper.

He jingles a set of keys and grins. "You get shotgun."

I smile weakly to myself as we round the corner and quietly sneak into his car. He ignites the engine and backs out of the driveway, speeding down the road.

"Didn't your daddy ever tell you not to get in a car with a stranger?" He smiles at me sideways. My heart drops into my stomach. He's joking, Becca, get a grip! He notices and turns his eyes back to the road before speaking quickly, "Hey, I'm just joking."

"Everything went so bad, I didn't even mean-" My cries are interrupted by the ringing of a phone. I reach across the console to the lit up spot in his backpack to pull it out of his bag since his hands are on the wheel.

"Don't answer it!" He snaps. I pull my arm back quickly and turn to stare out the window. "I didn't mean... It's just if I answer they could track us. Do you have a cellphone?"

"What, do you want my number?" I spit, my eyes narrowing at the road.

He chuckles softly. "No, well under any other circumstance, yes, but we need to get rid of them."

"Oh," I say quietly.

"I don't know your name," I say after a short silence.

"I don't know yours either," he says, keeping his eyes on the road.

Harry

"So what's your name?" She asks aggravated.

I've been debating on what to tell her since I first followed her into her backyard. Maybe she knows your name if she's watched the news lately? You can't take that chance, Harry.

"I'm Liam." I lie, using the first name I think of.

"I'm Becca." She says.

I don't say anything and she stays quiet. Her fingers drum against her thigh lightly and she stares out the window, her eyes flitting back and forth taking the dark of the night in. I pull the car to the side of a bridge and I grip my phone in my hand. She digs through her bag in search of her phone.

"I told my brother I'd call," she whispers.

"Call him. Then you can call him on pay phones or hotel phones or whatever," I shrug. I open the door and it swings open easily with the wind.

Becca looks so innocent. Why on earth would the police be chasing her? She probably ran away from her parents or something.

I stand on the edge of the bridge, getting annoyed with her. She's taking so long. Shit. I rush back to the car and swing her door open. I snatch the phone from her and hang up.

"Did you tell him where we are?" I yell, my nerves edgy.

She shakes her head violently. "No! Give me my phone back!" She protests.

"Tell him you love him and get on with it," I say harshly. Be gentle, I remind myself. With shaky fingers she calls him back.

"Jake?"

She smiles and I can make out the faint sound of her brother's voice through the speaker.

"Yes, I'm okay," she insists and pauses.

"Stay out of trouble," she says and another quiet pause passes.

"Yes, I will," she laughs sadly. "I'll call you sometimes. I love you." She hangs up and looks up to me with watery blue eyes. I hold my hand out and she places her phone in my hand.

"We can always buy new ones," she says and I have a feeling she's talking to herself. I lean over the railing of the bridge and Becca catches up and leans over just as I drop them into the river.

The dim street light illuminates her face and for the first time I can clearly see her face.

We both stare at each other, taking in each small detail.

Her timid blue eyes flit back and forth across my face. The brunette hair that isn't trapped in her hood blows around in the windy early March air. Her hand grips the railing and her legs shake slightly.

"Let's find somewhere to stay," I suggest and she nods.

"Liam?" Her small voice squeaks.

"Liam?" She says again.

It takes me a minute to realize she's talking to me. I find myself craving to hear her say my actual name, but it's too late. I have to go along with the lie.

"Yeah, cupcake?" I grip the wheel tighter and press the gas pedal a little more as we pass a car.

She groans, at the use of the word 'cupcake', I assume. "What are we gonna do?"

"Don't worry," I reassure her, even though I have no clue.

"No, I get to worry! I'm sort of trusting you a lot here for someone who broke into my house," she says angrily. "I get to know what's going on. I deserve that!"

I pull my beanie down a little more and take a deep breath in. "Fuck, I don't know."

She stays quiet and my mind reels, thinking of places to go. Lou and Tom are the first people that come to mind.

"I have a friend who can keep us for the night. We can talk about things there and leave in the morning." I say, trying to ease both of our worries.

"I have a friend who could get us passports.." Becca trails off. "I can't leave the fucking country with a stranger," she rakes a hand across her scalp.

"It's an option and right now, we could use options." I remind her and she sighs.

There's chapter 2! I hope you guys are enjoying this! It's a little hard to write because I have so many ideas but it would be so unrealistic if everything I wish to happen does. Sorry these chapters are so short but I needed to stop it here or I would have gone on forever.

Also follow @thirstyles and read her fanfic, A Little Too Late, it's incredible so far!!!

Leave feedback and vote please!!!! -Sydney