CHAPTER 7: The Fast Money

Aki's POV

At Aki's house.
I still have a week before I can replace Mrs. Rivera. I shouldn't be wasting any time. I only have 3 weeks down to earn the money. I plunge to my bed. My arms were placed wide open and my eyes staring at my glow-in-the-dark stars sticked on the ceiling, as I lay down lazily on a Wednesday night.
The baby sit job was just $50 a day. I need $5000 daily! Gosh..this is so hard..My thoughts came blank...when suddenly, I pictured that hooking smile from Mr. Taylor. That lip around those nice white teeth is way irresistible. I've been chased by cuties and popular students in Japan, but never seen that smile as gorgeous as that.
I cuddle my 5 ft Teddy tightly. And was thinking how perfect those abs were. "Wait. Erase. Erase. Erase" I cut my daydreams. "You know what you should be thinking, Aki?! Your debt!" I reminded myself. " the auction..the money..your mom, your dad...and that you are yet be grieving..." I continued talking to myself.

I felt sad all of a sudden. I have been crying since I arrived here in California. I wasn't been the real Aki I used to be in Japan. If only they're here with me...I miss them...

The night was gone. And my alarm starts to beep on the fifth time. I think I should not snooze it this time. I took a bath, brushed my teeth and pulled up a light corporate wear. Time for jobhunting. I run into a Snack in Restaurant and was lucky enough to get interviewed and hired on same day. They were looking for a grave yard shift counter since they're planning to open 24/7. I grabbed the opportunity, thinking a $150 on a 6 hrs will be a help though. Now, I have $200/day...$4800 to go.
The next day, I tried to be very early, thinking I could plead for a full shift and get higher compensation. But sadly, they did not. So I have to stay outside and wait until 12:00 midnight before I can start cashiering. It was dinner break when another cashier approached me at the crew room. "Hey, chinky. You must be badly in need of cash to ask for a full shift. You're the new one right? I'm Amber " she poked me. "I got the job yesterday, I'm Aki", I responded. She smirked. " I new it you're Japanese. Yoroshiku"(Pleased to meet you), she added as she stuck a cigarette on her lip. " Nihonggo de, dekimasu ka?" (You can speak in english?) I asked excitedly thinking I can finally had someone to speak in Japanese. She burst into laughter. " wakaranai yo!" ( I don't understand) she answered and continued laughing. I laughed a little. "So, how come you know some words?" I asked her. She just threw a little suspicious look. " It's from my other job" she uttered in a soft almost a bedroom voice. She became silent.
"So, can I apply on that other job? I can speak Japanese", I asked her to break the silence. She just smirked at me and whisper on my ear before she gets back to work , " meet me at the park tomorrow night at 6 pm. Believe me, all other crews are there, too." I was left confused. But I guess It's going to be okay since I'm Japanese and I'll be with them.