Chapter 41 - UNCUT

Start from the beginning

“Not only did you risk yourself and our unborn child but you risked the lives of six of my men and my brother.  If that had been a trap they would have died to save you.  Do you understand that?”

My mouth moved but no sound came out, my chest tightened and my throat burnt.

“Maeb, this isn’t the tournament circuit.  This is war, and war is not a game.  Edward will not play by any rules.  He will do whatever he can to win.” He took me by the shoulders and looked into my eyes, “And winning to him means killing you.”

Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked into his serious face.

“Maeb please listen to me.  Please don’t be reckless. I can’t loose you.  None of us can loose you.  Without you the war is lost and we are all dead.”

“I am sorry, he is my father I had to try…”

“I know Maeb but you also have to see the bigger picture.”  

His arms relaxed and he drew me into his chest and hugged me.

“I thought I had lost you.  I couldn’t find you and I thought you had left me,” he mumbled into my hair.

 “Why would you think that?”

I felt his head lift from mine as he seemed to be looking skyward.  “It is the eve of battle Maeb and you disappear with Thomas, what am I supposed to think?”

“You thought I ran away with Thomas?  You thought I left all these men to their fate?  Do you really think I am that selfish, cowardly and lacking in honour?” I pulled myself from his arms and tried to turn away from him.

“No my love.  I thought I was not good enough for you.  I thought you deserved the life that Thomas could give you.  Maybe I should have left you in the forest.  Maybe it was me who is selfish.” 

I turned to look into his eyes.  His face was etched in pain and his eyes were heavy with guilt.

“Instead of tending goats and collecting flowers, here you stand on the battlefield risking your life all because I love you.  I should have left you were you were.  You deserve to be happy.”

“Jonathan,” I softly smiled his name, “It is you who make me happy, no one and nothing else.” 

I wanted to tell him that my heart belonged to him and I would never leave his side, but he was kissing me.  So I kissed him back hoping that my eager lips would communicate my love for him.

I looked him in the eyes as I broke the kiss and maneuvered my bulky body to his.  As I lowered myself onto him, taking him inside me, all the tension left him.  His eyes glowed at me and a lazy smile greeted me. 

I forgot how huge I was.  I forgot how unattractive I was.  With him inside me and looking at me with those eyes I felt like the most beautiful woman ever.  I glowed.  I wanted more.  I wanted him deeper, harder, faster and I worked towards that.  All my muscles shuddered and I collapsed panting for breath.   

Then I watched him as he tirelessly worked to give me more pleasure until we both could take no more.  Then we collapsed and breathed together.  Exhausted I fell asleep while he skimmed his fingers over my skin.

I woke to the clink of armor being made ready and the grind of swords being sharpened. 

No birds sang.

I knew before my eyes were open that this was the day that everyone was waiting for.  This was the day all they had been preparing for.  This was the day they went to war with Edward, my husband, the King.