"It was just Alfredo."

He shook his head and grabbed my chin. "Don't answer this phone again. I don't care who's calling. Never."

"Why?"

"If it's the wrong person they'll have your voice."

"And?"

"I don't want my lackeys to know your voice." I rolled my eyes. "They don't need to know you. I don't want them to know you."

"What's wrong with that? I know a lot of the people who work for my father."

"This family doesn't operate the same way yours does. You should understand that by now."

He went into the bedroom. I glared at him. I waited for him to get dressed. He was in his tux when he came out.

"That looks uncomfortable to be in when you're going to be in a hospital all day."

He nodded. "I'm not going to be there all day."

Go figure, I thought. At least I know that he's not willing to be my moral support. I nodded and walked to the car.

When we got to the hospital I went straight in to see Enrique. He looked out of it. I wasn't surprised. They'd have him doped up on so many pain killers. He smiled when I put my hand through his hair.

"Gabs."

I smiled and nodded. "Hey big brother." I looked at his bandages. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I just got shot." He stifled his chuckle as pain shot through his expression. A deep couple of breaths, then he asked, "How's Mom and Dad?"

I shrugged, "I'm not too sure. They were in surgery last time the doctors sent information." He nodded and shut his eyes. "Can I get you anything?"

He shook his head, "Take a nap. You look like hell."

I laughed as a nurse came in. she smiled. "I just need to check for bleeding."

I nodded and moved away from Enrique. The nurse did her thing, then left. I sat down next to him again. "Who was it Rique?"

He smirked, "No way. I'm not telling you so you can make a scene."

"I'm not going to. I just want to know who attacked my family. With only weeks until the wedding, I want to know my family will be there."

He nodded, "But there can be no wedding if the bride dies retaliating."

I sighed, "Why are you so stubborn?"

"You're exactly the same." He took a slow deep breath. "You'll get your information when the facts come in. You know this."

"I can't just sit around waiting to know if my parents are going to live or die. I want to know this shit is going to be handled.”

He nodded. "It is being handled."

"How do you know that?"

"Alfredo came in just before you sis. He let me know that things are going."

"So they know who."

He nodded, "And so do I. What you need to do is stay out of their way. Trust Jon to get revenge for you." I nodded. He smiled. "Go for a walk or something then take a nap." I nodded and kissed his cheek before leaving.

There were 2 tuxes by Jonathan's side when I walked into the waiting room. They stopped talking when I walked in, so I changed my mind and started wondering around the halls. My pocket started vibrating.

It was Jonathan. "What?"

"Your father's doctor just walked in."

I shut the phone and ran back. They were waiting for me when I got there.

The doctor nodded at me when I got there. "Your father suffered massive internal bleeding when the bullets entered his chest cavity." That sounds like the beginning over really bad news. "The surgery was going well until he hemorrhaged. The surgical staff worked to perfection on your father, but I regret to inform you that he died on the table shortly ago."

First I felt numb, in shock. I stumbled to the chair so I could sit. Once on the chair I leaned forward with my face in my hands. My dad was dead and I still had no idea why, or even who. That was the most frustrating thing. I would have to tell Enrique when I pulled myself together. I know that tears were coming like I had waterfalls for eyes. Anyone who would support me through this was lying in a hospital bed or in surgery. It hurt even more when I came to the realization that no one in this room cared enough to hug me. No one.

My breathing was unsteady when I stopped crying. There were 2 guys that I didn't recognize were looking at me. "What the fuck are you looking at?" They both did the right thing and looked away. I stood up and walked towards the door. I needed to walk around. To think. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw Jonathan walking towards me. He took out his wallet and grabbed a credit card.

"Whatever you want." He said as he handed me the card. "You're probably hungry now."

I nodded. Can't buy a support system with a plastic card. I took it then started walking away from him. I heard him sigh then catch up with me outside the hospital.

"Are you going to be okay?" I shrugged in response. "Want to talk?"

I stopped and nodded. "I want to talk to someone who cares. Everyone in that category is unable to comfort me." I gave him back his card. "Just leave me alone. Acting like you care now doesn't make me feel like it's all going to turn out just fine."

"If I didn't care I wouldn't be here right now."

"That's why I said you were acting like you care. I know you don't because instead of staying with me you choose work."

"Do you not want me to take care of the mess at hand? I thought getting back at the ones who did this was your priority. I cannot make a fucking plan and give you all the love and support you need. Choose what you want and I will give it to you, but you cannot have it both ways." I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes again.  I can't do these things, make these decisions right now. "You need to tell me what you want from me." I took an unsteady breath. I'm not tough, but I can pretend to be. He just stared at me, waiting for my decision.

"I don't need you to treat me like I'm a fucking child." He rolled his eyes. "You could be with me through this particularly difficult time in my life, but that would assume you give a rats ass. You should be able to tell that I would appreciate a gesture as simple as a fucking hug. Then you can do your master planning later. But if that is too much work for you, then just go."

He shook his head. "Do you feel better now?"

"No. Not even fucking close." I started walking down the street.

I didn't get very far before I was tugged back by someone grabbing me by the back of my sweatshirt. I was planning on yelling and hitting when he let me go. But he wrapped his arm around me in a hug I really needed. He smelt so good and it felt nice to have someone willing enough to hug me.

"We'll go get some food, then we'll find a place for you to lay down for a nap."

He held me until I was ready to be let go. We had lunch then he held my hand until we got back to the hospital. The only place to sleep was a 2 person sofa. I felt squished, but it was better than the dirty floor. So I didn't complain.