Better Now Rather Than Later

Start from the beginning

Evelyn rolled until she was about two feet away from her fallen knife and stretched out her hand to grab it. Just as she almost reached it Evelyn was forced to pull her hand back to avoid losing it as Leviathan drove her sword into the area of dirt that Evelyn’s hand had previously occupied. As Leviathan pulled her sword out of the ground Evelyn reached around her to grab the knife and once Evelyn had it securely in her grasp she moved out of reach of Leviathan’s weapon.

“Good job.” Leviathan said, slowly twirling her sword in her hand.

“Thank you.” And they both started to circle each other.

As they continued to go around in circles, waiting for the other to make the first move, Asmodeus dropped drown from the ceiling. Leviathan and Evelyn both looked at him as he stood up from the crouch from his landing. He shot them a bright smile, greeted them and proceeded to try and knock Leviathan out with a kick. Leviathan dropped to her knees and spun around with her legs out to try and sweep Asmodeus off his feet. But he jumped to avoid being tripped so Leviathan allowed her momentum to continue spinning her around as she straightened up until she stood facing Evelyn, with her back to Asmodeus.

“And that would be the correct way to attempt to deliver a kick.” Leviathan pointed back towards Asmodeus.

Evelyn rolled her eyes and then a grimace of pain took over her face as a pain spiked through her side as she took a deep breath.

“Glad I could help provide a demonstration for proper technique while getting in a bit of exercise.” Asmodeus said, walking around Leviathan and towards Evelyn.

“Yes, I know exactly how to kick now.” Evelyn muttered sarcastically as Asmodeus stopped in front of her.

“That’s excellent news.” Asmodeus reached out and removed the hand that was pressed against Evelyn’s hurt side and replaced it with his own. “Now I would like to know how you hurt your ribs.”

Evelyn grimaced and glared at Leviathan over Asmodeus’s shoulder. “Leviathan also demonstrated the proper kicking technique.”

Asmodeus sighed and turned to look back at the person in question. “Leviathan.” He said in a warning tone.

Leviathan shrugged. “She is going to have to deal with injuries sometime, better now rather than later.”

Asmodeus just sighed and shook his head. “Are your ribs the only things that are damaged?”

Evelyn nodded.

“Good.” Asmodeus’s hand slipped under her shirt and came to rest against her damaged ribs, skin to skin contact. Causing Evelyn to take a deep breath and her heart to pound out a jagged rhythm, one that nothing to do with her injured side which felt considerable better since Asmodeus had laid his hand against it. “Your ribs are merely fractured, not broken, and it is only the last two. This will only take a moment.”

Evelyn nodded distractedly, focusing on his hand pressed against her skin, the heat of which seemed to increase with each passing second. Suddenly a shot of warmth spread from that impossibly warm hand and engulfed her ribs before it swept through the rest of her body. Once the warmth had dissipated Asmodeus kept his hand against her skin, gently rubbing his thumb against her side that no longer hurt. “Pain free now?” Asmodeus asked.

Evelyn nodded biting her lip and blushing.

“Good.” Asmodeus kissed the top of her head before stepping back, removed his hand from her skin, and turned to face Leviathan. “It would be greatly appreciated if you could return her to me undamaged.”

“I shall try, but I make no promises.”

Asmodeus was shaking his head as Belphegor made his way across the field towards them. “Why are you here Asmodeus? You finished gathering the troops already?” Belphegor asked as he stopped before the three of them.

“No, I’m actually looking for Mammon and was wondering if either of you had any idea of where he would be.”

Leviathan and Belphegor both shook their heads. Asmodeus sighed and ran his hand through his hair. “I thought so, this man is impossible to track down.”

Belphegor clapped Asmodeus on the shoulder. “Well I wish you the best of luck in finding him.”

Asmodeus chuckled mirthlessly. “Thank you, it appears I will need it.” Asmodeus turned and started walking away before he paused and looked back at Evelyn. “And Evelyn do try to keep all your limbs intact for me.”

Evelyn rolled her eyes. “I’ll do my best.” She said drily.

Asmodeus flashed her a smile. “That’s all I ask.” And with one final look Asmodeus turned and disappeared among the shadows littering the edge of the stadium.

“So are you ready to get back to fighting?” Leviathan asked one Asmodeus was no longer visible.

Evelyn turned back around to look at Leviathan with a reluctant look on her face. “Can we get a meal instead?”

 A frown took over Leviathan’s face. “I do suppose that we could get a meal and then return.”

Evelyn sighed. “I guess that’s the best I could hope for.”