Chapter 56: Currents Upon Oceans

Mulai dari awal

"For the most part?" Patrick asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah, yeah. Everything has been going well with the season, and just in general." I say, looking down at my hands.

I look back up at Patrick before speaking again.

"I do miss Natalie. I just don't know how to talk to her anymore. I feel so guilty, that every time I see her I just lose my words." I admit, shaking my head.

"I feel like by now, I should know more than I do. I called things off with her a long time ago, Patrick. And I just thought that by now, I would know what the fuck I'm doing. But I'm in the exact same spot as I was when I stopped seeing her." I sigh, shaking my head.

Patrick swallows, nodding.

"Jonny, I know I've said this before, but you have to give it time. Answers just don't come to people. I know it's been a while, but you need to be patient, man. You'll know when you know." Pat assures, raising his eyebrows.

I sigh, nodding.

"I just can't let her go, Patrick. I can't let Ally go." I say, biting my lip.

"I know. And that's not going to change, Jonathan. But that doesn't mean you won't ever be with Natalie again. Things work out, Jonny. They do. Just wait and see." Patrick says, smiling.

I smile down at my hands.

"Thanks Pat." I say, quietly.

He nods.

"So what's new with you?" I ask, changing the subject.

Pat sighs, leaning back in his chair.

He looks out the window of the cafe for a few moments, a small smile on his face.

The reflection of busy people walking down the streets of Old Montreal is clear in his bright blue eyes.

He looks back at me, smiling.

"Jonathan, the main reason I invited you here today was to tell you something," He says, smiling.

I tilt my head.

"And what would that be?" I ask, laughing.

Patrick takes a deep breath.

"Abigail is pregnant." He finally says.

I feel my eyes widen, and my stomach drop.

My jaw drops with it.

"Holy shit, Pat." I say, quietly.

I look out the window, as a few people pass by just outside the cafe.

I look back at him, and he is still smiling.

"You're going to be a dad." I say, my eyes wide.

Pat laughs, running a hand through his curls.

"Yeah. Yeah, I know." He says, nodding.

"Patrick, that's amazing, man! Holy, I'm so happy for you! Just... wow..." I say, shaking my head.

Pat laughs, smiling at me from across the table.

"Thanks buddy." Pat laughs.

I run a hand through my hair, sighing happily.

"I can't even believe this. Oh my God, you're growing up, little Kaner." I say, smiling down at my lap.

Pat laughs, smiling down at his drink.

"It's a good feeling. I'm really excited." Pat says, nodding.