Chapter 23: Intriguing Souls

{Jonathan}

The gentle evening sun beats down on my face as I walk down the street towards the next apartment building.

Chicago is alive tonight, despite it being a Tuesday night.

People are busily rushing through Downtown, excited for their evening's in the city.

It's Tuesday, August 2, about 7:30 in the evening.

I'm making my way down the street to Natalie's apartment building, where the I'm going to pick her up.

The two of us are then going to walk to the restaurant we agreed to have dinner at.

It's Natalie's birthday today.

Of course, I have decided to treat her to a date night in the city, in celebration of her birthday.

I make it to the entrance of her apartment building, and get inside using her code that she had told me, a few weeks ago.

I make my way up eighteen floors, and down the hallway to her apartment.

I knock on the door, and I hear a few steps coming from behind it.

Natalie swings the door open, a large smile on her face.

Her dark hair is curled and down.

She's wearing simple strapless dress with flats, and her purse is hanging off of her shoulder loosely.

"Hey Jonny!" She smiles.

"Hey Nat. Happy birthday!" I reply, smiling down at her.

"Thank-you." She says, smiling up at me.

She reaches up and kisses me on the cheek gently, before speaking again.

"Come on in, I just have to grab my phone." She says, moving aside.

I take a few steps into the apartment, looking around.

I've been in this apartment plenty of times, but I still love to look around.

It's a decent size, with really nice views.

It is also furnished beautifully.

Natalie grabs her phone from the counter, and then makes her way back to the entrance.

"Alright, I'm ready now." She laughs, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Me too." I laugh, as she shuts the door behind us.

The two of us make our way into the elevator, and down eighteen floors.

"How was your day?" I ask her.

"It was alright. Pretty busy, and I had a lot of appointments with little kids. Those are the worst." She laughs, looking up at me.

I laugh, shaking my head.

"None of them want to go to the dentist." I shrug, laughing.

"Seriously though. I'm always the bad guy to them, and they all hate me before they even know me." She rolls her eyes, smiling.

I laugh.

The two of us leave her apartment building, and start walking towards Michigan Ave.

I take her hand in mine, and we intertwine our fingers.

We walk in silence for about ten minutes, until we reach the entrance to Skyline.

Skyline is the restaurant we are eating at tonight.

It's a beautiful restaurant with a rooftop patio.

It offers stunning views of the city in all directions.