Chapter 1 : The New Beginning

3rd POV

Kaneki looked over the city as he was standing on top of the tallest building in the 16th ward. He had taken a small break a ward away, being carful to stay hidden, to try to regenerate and heal a bit. Kaneki had heard rumors about the 1st ward when he was still human. They had said it was abandoned long ago and now was a place where only the cheapest criminals and poorest people lived. They had said it was one of the most dirty, no good place with alot of criminal activity. As Kaneki looked down at the city, he started thinking of what to do.

'This is the best place to be in. The CCG or Aogiri won't start looking for me hear. Or I hope they don't. I need to start figuring things out,' kaneki thought as he lept down from the building.

He had already decided to stop eating, and now he was going do it. He decided that he was going to only consume coffee. He knows it sounds stupid, but he really doesn't want to eat anymore. He doesn't want to kill or hurt anyone anymore.

The sky was filled with dark grey clouds and the streets smelled of smoke and grime. It certainly was a horrible place to live in, but Kaneki had no other choice. He had to stay here a while until he got stronger. He wasn't strong enough to save Hide, Hinami's parents, or many of the other people/ghouls that he was closed to. He had to make the CCG pay for their actio- no. He had to teach them a lesson.

Water started pouring from the sky as lightning flashed and thunder shook the air. Kaneki needed to find a place to stay in while he was staying here. With a small sigh, he starts running from rooftop to rooftop. Abandoned apartment buildings fly past Kaneki as a grey blur. Down below, there are only a few people rushing down the sidewalks, trying to find a place of shelter from the storm.

After a few minutes, Kaneki finally finds an abandoned apartment building with a large suite on the final floor. He jumps down onto the large balcony and walks towards the unlocked balcony glass doors. He opens the door, walks into the suite, and locks the doors behind him. He was standing in the living room. There was dust everywhere.

There was two large empty book shelves against the wall on one side, a large couch, a glass coffee table, a big flat screen TV, and a lamp hanging from the ceiling. There was a large opening in the wall that, Kaneki found out, leads to the kitchen. The kitchen was large. There was a refrigerator, freezer, many cabinets, a stove, and a microwave. A long counter was placed a meter away from the stove and it contained a few more cabinets and two sinks.

He looks into the refrigerator and is greeted by a horrible smell. He quickly closes the refrigerator door. There was two wooden doors on the other side of the room. He walks over to one of them and opens it. A beautiful dinning room was hidden behind the first door. A hallway was hidden behind the second one.

Kaneki walks down the hallway. He finds the bathroom, washroom, two guestrooms, a work room, and a bedroom. The bathroom consisted of a toilet, a large sink, and a bathtub with a shower head attached to the wall. A mirror door hung from above the sink and a small cabinet was underneath the sink. The washroom had a washing machine, a dryer, a ironing board and, a sink. The guestrooms consisted of a large bed, side tables, a window, a desk, and a closet. A bathroom connected both guestrooms.

The last room Kaneki looked in was the bedroom. It was one of the largest rooms in the whole suite. There was a large king sized bed covered in black, dark grey, and crimson colored sheets, duvet, and pillows. Four long pillars extended from the corners of the bed frame. Black and silver silk curtains were tied to the pillars by a dark crimson ribbon, keeping them in place.

On either side of the bed were nightstands with a lamp on both of them. A big trunk was placed at the end of the bed. On the other side of the room was a big closet with a full length mirror next to it and a desk.

A large chandelier hangs from the ceiling in the middle of the room. Two very large windows were placed on the wall oposite of the door that led to the hall. Matching curtains, as on the bed, framed the glass windows. Kaneki walks up to them. Dark grey clouds, rain, and the dirty city can be seen on the other side of the glass. The streets are empty. Kaneki sighs softly and closes the curtains, making the city dissappear behind them.

Soon, Kaneki notices a wooden door on the wall a few meters away from him. He walks towards it. Behind the door is a large bathroom similar to the other ones, but this one had two sinks with a long and wide mirror hanging above them, a toilet, a large bathtub that could hold two people, and a big and roomy shower. The shower had glass panels on each side and it could fit atleast three or more people in it. White fluffy towels hang from hooks that are on the wall.

Kaneki starts stripping away his ripped and blood soaked uniform. He places his mask onto the sink and throws his uniform into the clothing bin that was next to the toilet. He was going to have to fix it. Kaneki opens one of the glass panels and steps into the shower. He turns it on and lets the hot water hit him. The water feels so good against his sore body. It slightly stings his healing eye that Arima had pierced through with his quinque.

He reaches over to the small shelf attached to the shower wall. He picks up the soap and starts washing his body, letting the water wash away the soap and making his skin clean. Soon, Kaneki's hand grabs for the shampoo and conditioner, and he starts scrubbing them into his hair and scalp. The soapy water washes down the drain along with the dried blood, dirt, and grime. Shutting the shower off, Kaneki steps out of it and grabs one of the fluffy white towels.

He dries his body off, then wraps the towel around his waist and walks towards the sink. He wipes the steam off the mirror and looks at himself. There are dark circles under his eyes. A small hole is in the area where his ghoul eye is located. It had healed immensly.

Walking out of the bathroom and into the bedroom, Kaneki lets the towel fall from his waist and onto the floor as he stumbles towards the bed. He lifts the covers and slides under them. He is swallowed into the softness and warmth of the bed. It is dark in the room.

'I'm going to whip this place up into excellent shape tomorrow,' Kaneki thinks before his eyes close and he falls into a deep sleep.