[17]: AN OLD FRIEND

Start from the beginning

Rick raised his hand to his beard, seeming to contemplate whether or not to actually believe the girl or to even think about letting her join the group. Athena knew though that Rick wasn't going to give a yes or no answer at the moment, she'd have to work for it. Just like Athena had.

"Athena, do you trust her?" Rick suddenly asked, and the brunette found herself being stared at by the group because of the question.

Feeling nerves bundle up in her stomach from the sharp stares, Athena immediately answered, "Yes." with a strong voice.

Lea was someone who could be trusted to say the least. Someone you could always go to. Yes, they were no longer dating, but that didn't mean that something horrible happened that caused the relationship to end dramatically. It was quite the opposite really.

The two had met oddly when Athena had taken Ares to the hospital from "falling into a lake" one summer, the brunette having to look after her older brother so that they could go home the moment he woke up. Thing is that, Ares had been transferred into a coma in order to stabilize his body and inner organs, meaning that Athena had to stay in that same hospital for two weeks straight, as instructed by her mother. Lea had been an intern at the time, studying to become a nurse and having to be at the hospital for a few months in order to complete the amount of hands on experience she needed to certify herself a future job. They accidentally ran into each other on Athena's second day there, like literally ran into each other. They hit it off pretty well though, and Lea promised "a nice date in the hospital cafeteria with some applesauce" after apologizing countless times for accidentally punching Athena in the face. Being someone who used to fall for people easily, Athena agreed and they talked everyday from there on out, then explaining her situation of not being allowed to go home until Ares woke up.

Lea took her in on the fourth day, letting her spend the night at the hotel she was staying at for the time being. Let's just say that they fell for each other even faster when they had to share one bed, one shower, and were practically side by side every day and night. Lea even gave her clothes and took her outside of the usual country side she was forced to live in. The girl then asking Athena to be her girlfriend after an accidental make out session in the break room of the hospital. It had been a glorious time period for Athena, at least until Lea had to go back to Florida.

They broke up on good terms, both knowing that they'd probably never see each other again due to their own problems and circumstances. It had been hard for her, especially since Athena had truly never gotten over her. Even though it took place around two years ago.

"I trust her without a doubt." she added on finally, shaking off the old memories with a wince.

Rick looked over at Daryl, then Lori, and when his wife nodded, Rick looked over at Lea harshly before he said, "If you do anything, anything, out of line or so much as harm anyone here, you're gone." he said roughly, Lea keeping her gaze strong, though, as he continued, "Better keep on Athena's good side."

Athena's tight chest slowly fell as Rick extended out his hand to the girl. Looking at the gesture first, Lea then returned the offering before their leader nodded and retreated back to his wife.

"Well, we gonna start the fire or not?"

After grabbing a can of beans, Athena looked around for a spot to sit down at, seeing that both Lea and Glenn had an open spot next to them for her to take. She briefly made eye contact with the Korean before shifting her gaze to the girl she used to love, debating in her head which way to go.