vi. re·call

bring (a fact, event, or situation) back into one's mind, especially so as to recount it to others; remember.

• • •

Mara insisted on having their nuptials be outside. She loved Kentucky summers and wanted to incorporate that into their wedding. Julian was madly in love and would have agreed to anything she said.

He stood in front of the full length mirror. The mirror fit his size perfectly and had elegant wooden patterns wrapped around its edges. He adjusted his mint colored tie to make it straight for the 8th time already. He was nervous, anyone could tell by the way his leg shook. He didn't know why he was nervous; Mara was the love of his life and he couldn't wait to marry her. Maybe he was scared that she would get cold feet.

"Ready buddy?" Tom asked appearing behind him in the mirror. Tom clapped his large quarterbacking hands on Julian's broad shoulders. Julian nodded, this time a smile shown on his lips.

"Do you have the rings?" Julian asked turning to face his best friend. He saw the other two of his groomsmen, Danny and Rob, lounging in a red chair behind Tom. 

"Jules, for the tenth time, yes I have the rings," Tom assured him. Julian nodded authoritatively.

"Ladies, ladies, you're both pretty. But I think we have to go," Rob said standing from the couch. He had checked his watch and buttoned his suit. Danny stood next to him, much shorter than Rob was.

The four of them walked out of the side room they were being held in until they were ready to be let out into the sunlight. Rob first, Danny second, Tom, and then Julian. The sun was shining bright, just as it had on the day when Julian and Mara first met. It was picture perfect.

Julian took his spot near the altar and held his hands in front of him. They smile on his face would never falter. This was the day he had been waiting for. The day he would finally marry Mara.

The bridesmaid made their way down the aisle, lined with white carpet, making their mint dresses even more bright. The soft music helped move the procession along. Julian smiled as each of the girls crossed over to their side. Next, all of their guests stood and Julian's heart rate climbed.

Mara came into view, her arm wrapped around her dad's

Mara came into view, her arm wrapped around her dad's. Her dad held onto Mara protectively, as if he were scared to give her away. Julian's jaw dropped when he finally saw her. Her blonde hair was pulled back, accentuating her facial features. Her blue eyes were radiant with the mint accents. Her dress fit tightly down to her hips where it spread like a mermaid's tail. She carried a bouquet of white roses in her delicate hands.

The walk to Julian was slow and graceful. She smiled at him, her eyes longing to get to him. Longing to be with him. Julian stepped forward towards her and reached for her hand. She smiled at him and gladly took it. Julian led her to her spot in front of the minister. They listened intently to his words until it was finally their turn to speak. "Mara, will you please recite your vows?" The tall man said nodding his head to Mara.

"Julian, I could say that I can't believe I'm standing here, but I'd be lying. Ever since I met you on that muggy August day, I knew there was something about you. I knew that I wanted that something in my life. Then you took me on a date, and I could picture us standing here, after just one date. You are my soulmate and you make my heart flutter with every smirk, wink, and laugh. I have waited for this day since our first date at that run down bowling alley and I can't wait for what's to come. You own the key to my heart and I love you to pieces," Mara said in a sweet and low voice. Her way with words made Julian feel like he was the only one there, even though they were surrounded by everyone they loved. Julian smiled sideways, he never knew that she pictured them getting married after their first date.

I love you he mouthed to her.

"Mr. Edelman, your turn," The minister spoke in his booming voice.

"My dear, Mara. When I sat down to write these vows, I had a hard time. I'm not the writer in our relationship and I couldn't find the words to perfectly sum up my love for you. Our love goes far deeper than words could ever describe. You are my soulmate, my missing piece, and my best friend. I can't thank you enough for supporting me through everything life throws at me. Living all those years without you, seems like a nightmare. I don't know how I did it, and I can't imagine living without you. You hold all of the answers, sometimes even to your own questions. And even though I'm unsure about most things in life, I am certain that I love you and will continue to love you forever," Julian said looking up from the paper he held to Mara's glassy eyes.

****
Mara still kept the roses. She had them put in a frame to preserve them. To cherish the memory. They were one of her most prized possessions, and they sat proudly on the coffee table in the living room.

How ironic his vows seemed now. I can't imagine living without you. Julian wouldn't allow that to happen. "So, if this doesn't work, what do we do?" Julian forced out.

"Well, if these don't work within the next two weeks, chances for her recalling her old memories are low. She will have to begin everything again. Mrs. Edelman seems to be very intelligent, the book smarts are there, it's the common knowledge that she can't remember. This is good, because she can still function normally. But if she can't remember, than you two will start over," Dr. Carey said folding his fingerd on his desk.

"So, what you're saying is I have to make my wife fall in love with me again?"