CHAPTER 4: The Captain of Seishun Gakuen Girls Tennis Club

Magsimula sa umpisa

True enough, Minami smirked and didn't let go of the chance to smash. Her smash is her winning shot. Boys might be able to return it, but certainly not girls, especially with that small of a body. She's also too far from the net. Minami jumped up and smashed the ball into the frontcourt.

Minami was slowly coming down from the air. Her eyes widened as she looked at the opposite side of the court. Ryouko was already in front of the net.

Ryouko returned her smash. The ball landed in Minami's court before her feet could reach the ground.

"Love-15. Fujioka leads." The referee announced.

Minami stared at the ball in shock.

"What's wrong senpai?" Ryouko asked.

Minami gritted her teeth and looked at Ryouko with a murderous stare.

"Just so you know senpai, your shots will not touch my side of the court again, you won't be able to land a single point either," Ryouko said.

"Huh! Arrogant brat! Let's see about that!" Minami yelled.

"Fujioka to serve." The referee said.

Ryouko looked at the direction where the Seigaku regulars were standing. She looked primarily at Ryoma and caught his eye.

"I'll start with the basics." She said. She bounced the ball thrice, threw it high into the air, and served. Anyone watching can see what kind of shot it was.

The Twist Serve.

The people watched open-mouthed as Minami's racket fell onto the ground.

"Oi oi, nanda kore? (Hey, hey, what the heck is this?)" Momoshiro commented, shocked.

"Ryoma-kun's twist serve..." Sakuno breathed in disbelief.

All of them looked at Ryoma. Ryoma, however, was staring transfixed at the outcome of the game.

It was Minami's first time encountering someone who can do this kind of serve. She saw it a lot during Echizen Ryoma's games. She even tried to imitate it, but failed and abandoned learning the shot.

She picked up her racket and looked at Ryouko with a bewildered expression.

Ryouko served for the second time. It was the twist serve again.

Minami got ready for it but failed. Her racket dropped onto the ground again.

"Love-30."

The pressure was overwhelming. Not only does this shot give you pressure from its topspin, because it bounces upward towards the face, facing it can also be quite scary.

Nevertheless, Minami didn't become Junior Champion for nothing. She was misunderstood and called a genius, but all her accomplishments were the result of her blood, sweat, and tears.

Witnessing a girl like Fujioka Ryouko, who looked as if she never had to try hard to learn something, really irritated her.

The third serve wasn't returned.

"Love-40."

Neither was the fourth.

Then, for the final shot, Minami tensed up as Ryouko threw the ball up in the air. She shot it towards Minami's side of the court.

The ball landed. It was a normal shot. Minami was a second too late to notice. She tripped over her own two feet.

"Game won by Fujioka."

"Nani kore? (What is this?)" Mizuno said.

"I think we worried for nothing, Miyako," Mami said, placing her hands on Miyako's shoulder.