Chapter Thirteen - Dionysus

Start from the beginning

"Stop being a dick and be happy for her!" She mutters under her breath.

"I-what?" I glance over at Evie and guilt steals through me at the look on her face. I cross the room in two strides and give her a big hug. "I'm sorry E, I'm happy for you, you know I am."

"You're an ass Spencer." She mumbles, but hugs me back anyway. "You haven't changed at all."

I pull back and shoot her a winning smile. "And you're still sarcastic and gorgeous as ever."

"Flattery won't make up for two years of silence Spencer." She rolls her eyes and punches my shoulder. "What the hell was that about?"

"Two years of silence?" I scoff dismissively. "What are you talking about? I tried to get in touch with you, but you were too busy making goo-goo eyes at lover boy to realise. Broke my heart, you really did."

"You know, after being your best friend for twelve years, I got pretty good at deducing when you lie to me." Evie narrows her eyes at me. "You have a liars blink."

"I'm not lying!" I retort quickly, scratching the back of my neck. I feel Kenzie's intense gaze on me, and I get the feeling that she doesn't buy my lies either. I change the subject hastily. "E, why are you here?"

"What, wanting to see my best friend after he ignored me for two years isn't a good enough excuse?" She chuckles at the look on my face and jerks her finger in Kenzie's direction. Ok fine. Look, she was supposed to die this morning, and when you interfered it caught his attention. So naturally, I came to check it out."

Kenzie's face goes stark white. I glare at Evie. "Could you be any less subtle?"

She grimaces, shooting Kenzie an apologetic look. "Sorry. Obviously I've been spending far too long around Hades."

Kenzie doesn't reply, looking uncomfortable, and her gaze flickers over to me. I clear my throat, smiling at her reassuringly before I return my gaze to Evie, who's watching us with a weird smile on her face. "Evie, why are you really here? Cause I don't buy your bullshit that you're just 'checking it out'; I was under the impression that you were too invested on spending your time smooching with lover boy and helping him when your lips aren't attached to his to-"

She smacks me, pointing her finger in my face. "One more comment about us and I swear I will do more than punch your lights out."

I wiggle my eyebrows at her. "Sounds kinky."

"Dionysus!" I grimace when she hisses my name, a furious look on her face. "I am engaged!"

"That never stopped some people." I wince when she smacks me hard. My god Evie, did you lose your sense of humor in hell or something?"

She scowls at me. "I will blast you."

"I'm so confused." Kenzie mumbles out of the blue, breaking our silent glare-off.

We both whip around, equally guilty looks on our faces. I laugh awkwardly, my cheeks warming a fraction. "Well shit. Did I skip over the whole introductions thing?" They both nod, Evie smirking a little. "Evie, Kenzie, Kenzie, Evie."

"Wow Spencer." Evie shakes her head, turning to smile at Kenzie as she offers her hand. "Hi. I'm Evie, best friend of this loser over here."

Kenzie stares at Evie's hand like it's a grenade, shaking it cautiously. "I'm Kenzie."

"Kenzie, huh?" Evie studies her for a few seconds, her poker face giving nothing away. "I'm very curious about you Kenzie."

Kenzie stiffens ever so slightly. "Why?"