Changing Niall...?

Amber’s P.O.V.

I laughed and tossed the slice of pepperoni back at Niall. He smiled, laughed a bit, and threw it back at me.

“Okay okay, stop!” I couldn’t control my laughter. I sighed and sat back down at the table. Somehow, Niall and I managed to finish my homework for every subject in just an hour and a half. We watched a bit of TV then my mom called home and told us to order pizza. I didn’t mention the fact that Niall came over.

You see... Liam and Niall met each other in 10th grade, 2 years ago. Niall transferred from a school in Mullingar over to the U.S. Liam’s really friendly, so he socialized with Niall when he was new. He ended up joining Liam, Zayn, Louis and Harry’s group. That was when I was in 8th grade. The 5 boys hung out over at our house everyday.  My mom liked Niall then. But the summer of their junior year, Niall changed. A lot. He dyed his blond hair a dark brown. He currently had streaks of blue in it. He pierced both his ears. At first he had small navy blue gauges, but he didn’t like them so I guess he traded them for the black studs he never took out. As soon as he turned 17, (about a month into the school year) he started getting tattoos. Niall got another small, seemingly meaningless tattoo about every month. His older brother, Greg, didn’t really care what he did, so of course he’d go with him to the tattoo place. Anyways. Then his attitude matched his evil look. He became sarcastic,  demanding, and just plain mean. He started picking fights with freshman, letting them know he was the king of our school. Then he’d get into really big fights even with upperclassmen and get suspended weeks at a time. His dad didn’t care much. My mom started getting really worried about him and tried talking to his dad about it, but his dad wouldn’t listen. She tried getting Niall to go to counseling, but he refused. One day, she got fed up with him. Bit his head off, told him a bunch of things I’ll never forget and told him to never step foot into our house.

Yeah, and I used to like him. The little sister liking her big brother’s cute friend. Once I got into high school, he’d just start pretending I was “his.” Putting his arm around me and walking me to class. I’d be flattered, right? Nope. He did it because he knew I wouldn't fight him off. All he had to do was say one little disrespecful thing about me and Liam would slug him. Niall got satisfaction from doing that I guess. Typical cute bad-boy that owned the school. And yeah, that’s why I didn’t mention Niall being over, if you could blame me.

“What’s up with you?” Niall set down his pizza and looked at Liam. Liam stood with his phone limp in his hand.

“Did you just...laugh?” Liam questioned it as if he was confirming Niall growing two heads.

“Yeah, so?” Niall glowered at him.

“I haven’t heard you laugh since…” Liam stopped talking and looked a bit scared.

“Since what, Payne?!” Niall spat out. Before things could get any worse (and actually, they did) my mom walked in through the garage door. She was dressed in her hair salon clothing, holding a couple grocery bags and her designer purse.

“Niall Horan!” My mom growled as soon as she saw him.

“What. Are. You doing here?” She glared at him and dropped her things at the counter.

“Um..Hi, Mrs. Payne. Its really nice to see you again.” Niall squared his shoulders. Yeah, again meaning like a year later!

My mom sniffed. “Okay. What is happening here?” My mom scanned the room for any damage. Nothin’. In fact, Niall and I cleaned up a bit to some music.

“Nothin’ much.” Liam shrugged.

“I came over and helped Amber with her homework.” Niall said.

“I’m really starting to get Geometry!” I exclaimed, hoping to cheer her up. We were all kinda making the situation seem better, especially since Liam and Niall almost got into another fight today.

“What happened to your face?” My mom accused Niall. Then she looked at Liam and saw he looked the same. I knew what she was thinking. Especially when she walked close to Niall as if she was about to shove him out the house.

“Niall and I were defending Amber.” Niall said. Liar!  I mentally yelled and stopped myself from rolling my eyes. 

“Yeah some freakin' stupid idiot was freakin' dumb enough to talk about my sister in a bad way.” Maybe my mom didn’t see it, but Liam was kinda glaring at Niall when he talked. Liam looked at me and smiled. I gave him a thumbs up for not cussing. Cussing really ticked my mom off and he was trying to stop.

“Niall, you did that?” She phrased it almost like a statement. Niall nodded barely.

“Ohh..” My mom trailed off. So, basically, you’re nice again Niall? No, Mom. Not nice.

“Yeah. Someone had to defend her.” Niall said. What a good liar.

“Okay…” My mom said, looking at him as if she didn’t know whether or not to trust him. “Can you leave please?” My mom glared at Niall. If I dared to hope so, Niall seemed hurt to leave.

“Okay Mrs. Payne. I get it. No worries. I’m not angel like your kids. I get it. I’m a bit different and have a short temper. I look different and I get in trouble. Why love me? No no, you’re right. Don’t.” Niall took long strides across the kitchen, picked up his black leather jacket and stormed out.

“Wow Mom! Always have to mess things up, huh?” I yelled at her.

“What are you talking about? Mess what up? Don’t tell me you like him again! I forbid you to like him. I dislike that boy. He’s not good for either of you. I don’t want him in my house. Ever.” My mom left in a hurry to her bedroom upstairs. I crossed my arms and huffed.

“What’s up with you and Niall, Am?” I looked up at Liam and couldn’t answer him. For some reason, my eyes filled with tears.

“It’s okay. Mom just…doesn’t like him.” Liam wrapped his arms around me and I leaned against him.

“I know. I just wish…he was different.” I sighed and shook my head in disproval.

“Different meaning the old him?”

“Exactly.” I pulled back from him and blinked. “I’m going upstairs. I need to collect my thoughts.” I gathered my books and memories of the afternoon flashed through my mind. Niall’s soft voice coming out ever so often. Me making Niall smile. Me actually making him laugh. Niall’s explanations of math. His practically fluent Spanish. (Thanks to him taking his 4th year of Spanish) I sighed and went downstairs to my bedroom. I smiled at the familiarity. My posters, my perfume, my huge, welcoming bed. I dropped my backpack and jumped on it. Hugging my body pillow tight, I closed my eyes and let thoughts of Niall swarm my mind.

Is it possible the old Niall is coming back? Do I like him? Again? No, no I can’t like him. But the way he eyes lit up when he laughed...It reminded me so much of his Freshman year. Mom still hates him though. Am I the only one who can see him changing? I want the old Niall back. I miss him. I wanna be the person who makes him quit the dark Niall and go back to the sweet Niall…the beautiful, soft speaking Niall....