CHAPTER SIXTEEN - December 2171--January 2172 - Earth

"How have your first twelve days been, David?" asked Madeline after knocking and entering David Turners room.

He looked up from his paperwork. "Lovely, Mrs Tressel. Thanks again for letting me stay. Are you sure it's all right for Gwen too?"

"Please, David. How many times have I got to tell you? Madeline. Please call me Madeline. And, of course she can stay. There's plenty of room here. Although, the farmhouse would be preferable."

"I'm still working on that," he paused to change the subject. "This proposal I've drawn up for the new business is finished. I'd like you to go over it to make sure it's accurate."

Madeline sat beside him. "Let's have a look see." She read the document for several minutes then looked up, smiling.

"Are you sure of the cooperation from the Space Federation, David?"

"Yes. Well I know that General Bolgon will look at the proposal and if he likes it then we only have to show it to the bank."

"We have enough money to cover the start-up costs. We won't need a loan," said Madeline.

"Yes, I know that but if I'm going to be a partner in this venture then I feel the need to put money into it myself. To do that I'll need a loan."

"It doesn't matter, David. We'll put up the money initially and when you have enough saved you can pay us back. What do you think?"

"I'd still like to pay my way."

"Look, David. If I didn't trust you then I wouldn't have offered. You can stay with us until you find a place of your own and then take out a mortgage. That way will be best, believe me."

"All right, Madeline. I accept your offer but first we need to convince the general."

"The only thing I'm not happy about is that David, Guy and Steve will have to join the Space Federation to earn their pardon."

"I'm sorry, Madeline but that is the generals only condition. If it helps any, they'll be aboard my starship and I'll keep an eye on them."

"Go ahead, David. Take it to him with my blessing. I hope it goes well," Madeline leaned over and gave him a hug which he accepted awkwardly.

He got up. "Are you positive it's all right to bring Gwen back with me?"

"David, that's twice you've asked me in as many minutes. If you ask one more time, I'll change my answer, now stop it."

David left to take the proposal to the general and bring back Gwen for a fortnight's holiday with him.

*

Captain Turner departed the shuttle followed by David Tressel. Turner smiled and began to feel more relaxed in these familiar surroundings. David Tressel, however, was extremely uncomfortable about being here.

Turner saw his apprehension. "Try to relax, David. You're not going to be taken away. You're perfectly safe. I guarantee it."

"It's not easy, David. It feels like I'm walking deeper into enemy territory with every step."

"Come on, we'll get something to eat at the café. And I've got some pills that will help you calm down if you'd like one."

"I might just take you up on that."

They walked to the café and had a meal. David took one of the captain's pills. By the time they had eaten he looked calm again and they set off for the general's office.

When they entered, the secretary looked up and smiled as she saw Captain Turner. She sprang up and ran over to him, her black shoulder-blade length hair flowing out behind her. She thudded into him and he closed his open arms around her, lifting her off the floor as they kissed.