Enough Is Enough

Začať od začiatku

She remembered the look of agony on Kanan's face when he realised who was up on the moon when it blew. The ache in Zaluna's eyes as they felt the impact of the bomb in space. They were images etched into her brain. She knew she would never be able to forget them even if she tried.

The Twi'lek fizzed up with anger. "This needs to stop," she growled under her breath, kicking the dirt up in frustration. Kanan squeezed her shoulder gently.

A sound startled them. It was a voice: young and full of pain. Their heads shot towards an alleyway next to them. They saw a flash of movement and raced over to the source of the cries.

The sight nearly made Hera's heart stop. Underneath rubble and duracrete lay a young Twi'lek boy, grimacing in pain as he found he couldn't move his legs from under the fallen buildings. He was startled by the sudden arrival of the two. He yelped in surprise and ended up coughing up blood. Hera was quick to kneel beside him to comfort him. He tried to wriggle away from her, cringing in pain as he did.

"No, no," Hera said softly in her smooth, melodic voice. "It's okay. We're here to help." She knew she couldn't move the rubble off of him to save him, but she couldn't let him know that.

Kanan's eyes were drawn to a corpse lying nearby. It was an adult Twi'lek, blue-skinned like the boy. He quickly jumped in front of it so the kid couldn't see it. If it was his father, he didn't want him to see his dead body, mangled, broken and lifeless. It was the last thing the poor child needed.

Hera seemed to notice and gave Kanan a grateful glance. She looked into the boy's warm brown eyes with her glimmering green ones and wiped the tears off his scratched cheeks. She hushed him gently as he began to shake. Whispering comforting words to him, she brushed her fingers against his forehead as she laid his head in her lap.

She tried to keep her voice steady. Her throat was tight and her heart was full of emotion. Her mind flashed back to the war on Ryloth all those years ago. She had prayed she would never see a wounded Twi'lek child again. Her spirit was crushed with anguish, straining her voice as she told the child to be brave.

While Hera was whispering to him, there was something about her voice that surprised Kanan. Although it was still the soft, beautiful voice that Kanan had fallen in love with on Gorse a year and a half ago, this time it was filtered through a rich Ryloth accent. Kanan didn't know Hera was capable of speaking like that, but the boy stopped whimpering and stared back at her. Even Kanan felt calmer as she lulled the child with sweet words.

It was as if she didn't even know she was doing it, as if through her emotion she tapped into a side of her that only she knew. The true-blood Twi'lek side.

"Shh, Lia'rn," she said, the syllables rolling over her tongue like a ballad. "It will be alright." The boy gripped her hand tightly as if he was holding onto his life. Silent tears left clean lines on his ash covered cheeks. He coughed once more, blood spluttering onto his bottom lip and onto Hera's face. She didn't pay attention to it.

Life was leaving him fast.

Despite all that she had said to comfort him, Hera knew that it was the end. She tried to smile, her eyes moist. The child would've had his whole life ahead of him. He would've had so much to do, so much to see, so many people to meet, so many friendships to make. He would've changed lives, he would've helped people.

But the Empire ended that for him. They cut everyone's lives short because of their paranoia. There weren't nearly enough rebels in the galaxy to start a full-scale rebellion yet, yet they destroyed the town because they saw a spark. A spark of rebellion. And they couldn't have that. They had to stomp it out ... brutally.

The Twi'lek child gripped Hera's hand tighter. He tried to say something but failed, pain stealing away his ability to talk. Hera spoke once again and the boy fell silent. Kanan was surprised by how she managed to keep him calm with her voice. Words poured out like song lyrics in her soothing Rylothian tongue, one so beautiful it filled him with hope.

Maybe the boy was going to be okay. Kanan closed his eyes, praying that the things she was saying were true. Oh, how he wished they were true...

But once he opened his eyes again, he was brought back to reality.

The child swallowed hard and stared up at Hera with wide eyes as his vision blurred. Any child, no matter what age, would've known what was happening. He couldn't fight death anymore. He had to brave it with a strong heart.

Soon he couldn't see Hera. He blinked to clear his vision but he couldn't see anything. His sight gave up on him and left him alone in the darkness. The world was a black void. He couldn't move his fingers or feel the gentle touch of her hand on his head. He couldn't smell the smoke or the charred flesh. He couldn't taste his own blood in his mouth or feel it clotting in his veins. The only thing he could sense was her voice.

Her words were muffled as his last sense threatened to leave him. He swore he heard what sounded like a Rylothian lullaby. The child closed his unseeing eyes and focused on her voice. If this was the end, he wanted it to be the last thing he'd ever hear...

Hera cursed silently, choking on her tears as the boy went limp in her arms. She bent down to lean her forehead against his, liquid running down her cheeks. She suddenly felt warm arms wrap around her. She clutched onto both the child and Kanan, her body shuddering through silent sobs.

After what seemed like hours, she rose her head and kissed the child's cheek. She sniffed and pressed her lips together to keep herself from crying again. She stared up at the sun slipping through the smoke particles.

Something inside her snapped. Her eyebrows unknotted themselves and her shoulders stopped slouching. She looked down at the boy and lay his small head carefully on the floor. She got to her feet and looked straight ahead. She found herself walking back to the ship though she didn't know why.

Kanan was right there beside her. He always was. He knew better than to say anything, but he did take her hand in his as they walked.

Hera, covered in tears and blood that was not her own, was changed. She knew that she hated the Empire before, but now she realised that enough was enough. It was time. It was time to get the rebellion off the ground. It was time to rally everyone to fight.

That day, she vowed to fight for peace, even if it cost her her life.

Enough was enough. No more innocent people had to die. Not on her watch.

•   •   •

Nope, no happy chapters here...

So I saw this prompt on Tumblr about Hera's accent. It gave me the idea of the dying boy and Hera speaking in her accent through her sadness and anger like she did in Homecoming (the feels!).

So yeah, I've never written about what death feels like before. Apparently hearing is the last sense to go before you die, so it worked out perfectly for this fic! *high-fives scientific research*

This was written as its own mini-oneshot-book-thingy on Fanfiction.net, but I had nowhere else to put it on Wattpad except here. So there ya go! :)

Anywaaaaaay, have a good day! And may the Force be with you, my young Padawans. ;)