Chapter 6: Back In Bradford, The Families Meet

Zayn's POV

After some last minute fun at Nandos, obviously wanted by Niall, well we traversed down to the airport to board our long flight back to Bradford. Great show and fun here, but girl chosen by my family there. Hmph, sleeping throughout the whole flight will help hopefully help me get over this madness.

*****

Aparna's POV

After an exhausting flight, a soft seat in a taxi to sink myself into, and Raj's shoulder to lean on, my phone rang, forcing me to jump. Hmph...my ringtone, as you all know which I love and adore, because it describes my current situation. I mean, seriously, it also describes the treatment I will be giving this mystery guy I'm arranged to marry. Who is my family to strip my freedom away from me, especially when I'm just 19?! I can't get married this early, yaar! Not that my family even cared. I won't veer your focus just yet, but let me tell you right now, that I've been more of a mother to Anjali Awasthi, even more than our mom.

Dad: Aparna, kab paunch jaoge tum?

Me: I'm gonna be home in 5 minutes. In the taxi right now.

Dad: Well, jaldi karo! Hurry the hell up! Don't keep the groom's family waiting. Also, make sure you actually look presentable!

Me: (of course my dad would say that) Yes, dad! (grunt, while I looked down at my current wardrobe, a cerulean body-hugging strapless thigh length dress; so wait, should I hurry up? Or drop into a mall to change, and get my millionaire, egotistic Dad upset?)

Dad: Good, beti! Don't be late, and are your dance mates with you?

Me: Yeah.

Dad: Hmph! No time to drop them home unfortunately, huh? Whatever, they can come with as long as they don't create a racket in Jaidev Awasthi's house. Also, Raj se kuch door khadi raho! You're about to be a married woman, so do something for me, babe. Prove to me that my life lesson to you is worth it! Tum college ki jawaan ladki nahi hai, sirf sau rupee per dance ke liye naachnewali bhi nahi hai! Imagine, Jaidev Awasthi, Bradford ka sabse bada businessman aur crorepati, ki beti ek naachnewali hain, hmph! But enough about you, just come quickly!

And with that Jaidev Awasthi hung up.

Raj knew my father well, and how much he hated my passion for dancing, blind to mine and Anjali's future wishes of becoming models and maybe even Bollywood actresses. Both of us had the best of grades (I know, it's surprising despite my reputation with men), but my father always overlooked that, and the discussions (like when he actually talked to me) were always about how terrible I looked in a crowd. This applied even when I wore something as average as a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Raj squeezed my hand reassuringly, Anjali squeezed my other hand, and Rohan patted my back to comfort me. I offered them all a smile, and they each returned one back.

"We're all coming," Rohan began firmly. "Because before he gets to you, he tries to get past us first!"

"We're only letting you marry him, after we test him, and we see if he is worth a beauty like you," my sister hugged me, and I stroked her hair lovingly.

Raj stayed silent, but nodded reluctantly in agreement. Somehow, I could tell that he was jealous of the boy I was arranged to, but what could I do? It's not like I loved him any, even though he loved me. Where would I run toward, who would I run toward?

Anyways, the taxi driver dropped us off in front of my alluring mansion and we gave him some cash and sent him off. I hesitated at first, staring at the towering mansion, and then the front door. 

"Chaliye, na?" Raj asked, with a hand in mine, and an arm around my shoulder.

"Yeah," I glanced down nervously, trying to shrug off the sparks his touch offered. Just then, Dad opened the front door to 'welcome' us with gritted teeth, obviously acting like a sweetheart for the guests. My mom looked bashful in front of him, as usual, being a wife before a mother.