Chapter 13

© kelliekook

Rachel stumbled into her apartment. Not bothering to turn on the lights, she fumbled through the darkness until she found the couch and collapsed -- head first -- into the pillows.

Stupid, was all she could think, stupid stupid stupid.

In all her life she'd never once applied the word to herself but suddenly it seemed to fit brilliantly. 

She rolled onto her back and rubbed her eyes, stupid. Something warm leaped into her lap and she jumped suddenly. 

"Oh," she relaxed as she heard the purring, "it's just you Champ. Gave me a bit of a scare." Rachel laughed lightly and shifted to give the cat more space. 

"And how's your day been, huh?" she started to pet him and his purring intensified. "Well at least it's nice to know one of us did." 

The room was quiet except for the low hum of the cat and the distant sounds of city life.

After laying there for a few minutes, she sighed and reached for her bag. 

Careful not to disturb the cat, she used one hand to rummage through her things for her phone. For the life of her, she couldn't remember why she'd seen the need to take five different lipsticks. In her short time out she hadn't even used one.

It was true what they said really, women carried so much unnecessary shit. 

With a grunt she pulled out her phone and unlocked it. Calvin pressed his claws lightly into her stomach and she obligingly freed one hand to scratch him behind the ear.

She scrolled through her Facebook feed for a few seconds then went to her contacts, hesitating for a moment before tapping Nathan's name.

They were friends, she could call for a chat -- that's what friends do. Nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong at all.

Yet it wasn't until she heard his voice on the other end that Rachel realised she was crying.

***

Nathan sat in traffic on his way home from work, tapping his fingers to the radio and trying not to think about the large pile of files on the passenger seat.

He'd agreed to help out Ange with her paperwork, it was a small penance for acting like a dick this past week. One he'd offered willingly even, but now began to regret.

Another riveting evening at the Wyatt household, it would seem.

At that thought his mobile started to vibrate.

He reached into his coat pocket and accepted without looking at the ID, putting it on speaker.

"Hello?"

There were some sounds of sniffling on the other end and then, "Nathan?"

He recognised her voice immediately. "Rachel? Is that you? Are you okay? Tell me what happened." Part of him noted the, to some extent, panicked tone in his voice but he pushed it aside as simply concern for his...friend.

"Yeah it's me, I thought I was okay but," Nathan winced as he listened to her sob briefly then sniffle and blow her nose, "I'm sorry," she croaked, "but, if you wouldn't mind do you think you could," another sniff, "come over for a little while?"

Nathan glanced at the paperwork. "Please?" She begged. "I could really use a friend right now."

"Sure thing, I'll be there soon." Nathan didn't even have to question it, he knew he'd be there whenever she needed him.