Chapter 2

A/N: Grog = Alcohol

 ********

© kelliekook  

A brand new, shiny, black-healed boot stepped onto the cement, and out of the blue Mazda stumbled an exhausted Madison.

Her perfect brown ringlets were now a messy tangle of hair, her glossy, pink lips had lost all gloss, her make-up was worn off and smudged in places and her crystal blue eyes were hazy with fatigue.

It had been a long day at the office.

Madison itched at her stockings absently as she walked her way over to the elevator, the loud clip-clop of her shoes echoing in the underground car park.

Glancing at her watch she smirked to herself, it had only been fifteen minutes ago that she'd been stepping into one of these, she thought, slightly amused by the idea.

**Fifteen minutes earlier

Madison glanced at her watch and nearly sang with relief; it was half past five - which meant home time! She started to pack up her things when the lyrics of Sia's 'You've Changed' began to belt out from her mobile phone.

Madison swore under her breath as she fumbled around her desk in search of her little black Nokia. She lifted various mountains of files until she finally spotted it.

"Yes!" She breathed as she clutched the phone. Smiling triumphantly, Madison answered cheerfully, "Hello?"

"Finally! Geez Maddy, why do you always take forever to answer your phone?"

Madison rolled her eyes. "Hey Brianna! Nice to hear from you, I had an awful day. Thanks for asking!" 

Brianna huffed. "Don't get smart with me little Miss! I've had just as much of a shitty day."

"Doesn't mean you have to be such a grump Bri, but anyway, what are you up to tonight?" Madison placed her mobile between her shoulder and ear as she shoved papers into folders, attempting to clear away the mess that was her desk. "Any plans with James?"

"Nope, he's having a 'guys night out' so I thought I'd catch up with you and the gang, take a break from all this wedding crap," she exhaled impatiently, "If I have to look any longer at possible colour choices for napkins I may go insane!"

Madison laughed as she reached for her bag. "Right, well how about you come to our place? I've got some grog my mum sent me that's been sitting there, waiting to be opened." She stood and waved goodbye to her colleagues as she walked to the elevator.

Brianna laughed. "Sounds perfect, anything sounds good as long as I don't have to think about whether or not I should go for mauve or cerise."

"Okay," Madison said with a laugh, "come by around six?"

"Will do."

"And Bri?"

"Yes?"

"I think you should go with the mauve." Madison laughed menacingly as she hung up and entered the elevator.

***

The elevator dinged and she rushed out, desperate to remove her painful heals from her aching feet.

Madison shared a two-bedroom apartment with Rachel, her best friend. They'd bought the place when it was practically brand new, a bargain from some Canadian settlers who had to ditch the place before their visa's expired. It was quite small, but it was home.

Relief flooded through her as she turned her key in the lock and walked into her kitchen. "I'm home!" Madison called to Rachel as she threw her car keys onto the bench, then kicked off her shoes with much gusto.