Chapter 6 - Studious Muslims and Buried Secrets

Start from the beginning

Thank you, Allah, for encouraging Muslims of all nationalities to come together as one ummah. Nowhere else could I find food as good as this.

                                                             ☮    ☮    ☮ 

            After everyone finishes eating, Noha and I set off to the pavilions, my favorite place at the masjid for as long as I can remember. A lot of the other Muslim girls are there, and I spot my friend Farah. Her abaya, which is the color of the Arab desert sky, flows in one smooth motion over the length of her tall frame. I make my way over to her.

            When she sees me, she attacks me in a huge hug and exclaims, “Maysa! Where have you been all summer?” I grin; this is the Farah that I know and love.

            “Just chilling, as usual. Nazia and I went to visit our grandma for a few weeks.” While I explain this, Farah has already attacked Noha in a great big bear hug. Noha pulls out of the hug and grins, looking at me and Farah.

            “Dang, I can’t believe it’s another year already…we’re so oldddddd!” Noha wails. Farah and I laugh; this is typical Noha.

            The girl Farah was talking to before she saw us looks at me. I quickly recognize her as Shazia, who goes to school with Farah, Noha, and me. I don’t particularly like her, because all last year she hit on Zakariya at school in a way that made him slightly uncomfortable. I remember how he used to come over to me at lunch just to escape her flirting. I smile slightly at the memory, one of thousands that I hold dear to me out of love for my big brother.

            I guess it was a protective instinct of mine to not like Shazia. I hated how she was so set on making Zakariya her boyfriend and I guess I was also always scared that Zakariya would give into her ways. I love my brother a lot and I trust him but seriously, he’s a teenage boy. It’s hard to stick to your religious values when you have girls throwing themselves at you.

            I snap out of my thoughts when Shazia greets Noha warmly. Ok, what? Shazia never liked Noha because she always saw her as competition when it came to Zakariya. Not that she had anything to worry about.

            Noha looks slightly taken aback as Shazia starts to talk excitedly to her about the new school year that is starting next week, though she quickly composes her expression and begins to carry on the conversation with Shazia.

            “Hey, Shazia,” I greet her. Her mouth twitches and her hand motions falter for a split second and she continues to talk to Noha. Wow, she’s ignoring me. Whadda…bi-ng.

Yeah, that’s right, she’s a bing. “Good going, Maysa.” My brain says. “Congrats for not calling this girl what REALLY popped into your head.” I smile at myself, victorious over effectively censoring my negative thoughts when I’m around Shazia. I hate even having thoughts like that; they make me feel so guilty because honestly, Shazia has her good qualities.

Since Shazia ignored me, I turn my attention to Farah. She raises her eyebrows at me, subtly tilting her head in Shazia and Noha’s direction. Shazia is still talking a mile and minute and Noha still looks weirded out that Shazia is talking to her.

I nod slightly at Noha, and then Farah and I move away so that we are out of earshot. “Girl, what the hell is up with Shazia? Didn’t she hate Noha last year?” is the first thing that leaves Farah’s mouth.

            “I don’t even know anymore, Farah. Last year she was all buddy-buddy with me just to get close to Zak and she was so mean to Noha. Now it’s like she’s all buddy-buddy with Noha and she’s ignoring me. Maybe she’s over Zak.”