Chapter 1

Six years later.

"Blue Tristan?"

It was at this moment that Blue happened to burst rather spectacularly into the classroom, stumbling into the door right on cue. The whole class went silent, craning their necks to get a look at what was happening, including his registration teacher, Mr Henderson, who raised an eyebrow in both amusement and disapproval. Blue blinked.

"Uh... here."

With a heavy sigh, Mr Henderson ticked of Blue's name with a dramatic sort of air about it. The general chatter of the classroom began to resurface.

"Not a good start to the new term, is it, Mr Tristan?" he tutted, his voice positively dripping with typical teacher pretentiousness. Blue sighed. Mr Henderson quite obviously enjoyed calling him "Mr Tristan", so Blue usually avoided this at all costs.

"I'll let you off this time, but be warned, Mr Tristan, if you are late again, I will have to put you in detention," Mr Henderson reminded him. As if he needed reminding.

"Yes, Mr Henderson," Blue sighed again. First day back after the October holidays, and he was already sick of it. He wondered if he could sit down, or if he was going to be made to stand in the classroom doorway like and idiot for the rest of registration. From the back of the room he saw his best friend Katie give him a cheery wave and salute. He stared at his aging converse to avoid the prying eyes of the rest of his class.

"You may sit down," Mr Henderson nodded after a sufficiently awkward pause and continued with the register, and Blue shot over to the back of the classroom where Katie had kindly saved him a seat, keeping his head down so his face was concealed by a veil of messy black hair. Barely giving Katie enough time to remove her brightly patterned school bag from the seat, he collapsed in it, flashing her a quick smile.

She smiled back cheekily, her curly ginger hair swinging over her shoulder as she turned to face him. "Late on your first day, Mr Tristan?" she smirked, trying (and managing rather accurately) to imitate Mr Henderson's patronising tone.

"Shut up..." Blue rolled his eyes, shoving her lightly. "I slept in."

Katie continued to grin, her green eyes glinting on her heavily freckled face. "And you think this is a reasonable excuse, do you, Mr Tristan?"

Blue shoved her again, a little less lightly this time, but grinned with her. "Nice to see you too, Miss Foxx," he countered, sticking his tongue out. Katie wrinkled her nose.

"Miss Foxx? Nah, doesn't sound nearly so good as Mr Tristan..." she teased. "So you slept in? Why aren't I surprised?" It was her turn to roll her eyes.

"Hey, I forgot what day it was," Blue grumbled. Katie laughed.

"Sure you did... well, it's nice to see ya too, Blue," she grinned. Blue grinned back. It sucked, being back at school, of course, but seeing Katie again was definitely a plus.

The classroom door creaked open for the second time, this time concealed by the noisy bustle of the class, and a girl in uniform about three sizes too big shuffled into the classroom, clutching a pile of book and nervously shutting the door behind her. The class hardly took notice of her, continuing to talk loudly and chat amongst themselves. Her face was masked by her long tangle of dark blonde hair, so Blue couldn't tell if he recognised her or not. She was talking quietly to Mr Henderson, who frowned at first, before nodding and standing up abruptly.

"Class!" he shouted, and the buzz of chatter gradually died down and came to a halt, with the occasional curious whisper directed at the girl standing at the front of the class, who was staring timidly at her feet, clutching the books to her chest. Blue shot Katie a questioning look, only to be given a clueless shrug in response.